skin impression on the dino bone?

huangeric

The dino bone was purchased in Wyoming. Is it the skin impression on the bone surface?

Thanks!

20190404_080808.jpg

20190404_080743.jpg

20190404_080931-1.jpg

I can’t teally be sure but I did recently visit a museum with Dino’s and they had some skin impressions on display. It doesn’t seem to be a skin impression but that’s only based on the photos presented. Nice bone!

It certainly gives the impression of preserved skin. Well, not that it's an impression, but it appears the actually 3-D skin itself or the infill of an impression. It looks very much like the small specimen I have (not on bone) and the photos from the Internet. The generally rounded "lumps" of various diameters are, I think, typical; the variation in size perhaps corresponding with body location.

I would be excited if it were mine, as it is a really intriguing type of fossil. I hope someone with more first-hand experience with this material will add to this post. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I think it is a mineral growth (something like caliche).

In the second picture it looks like it has varying thickness inconsistent with skin.

What think You Frank? @Troodon

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

58 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

It certainly gives the impression of preserved skin. Well, not that it's an impression, but it appears the actually 3-D skin itself or the infill of an impression. It looks very much like the small specimen I have (not on bone) and the photos from the Internet. The generally rounded "lumps" of various diameters are, I think, typical; the variation in size perhaps corresponding with body location.

I would be excited if it were mine, as it is a really intriguing type of fossil. I hope someone with more first-hand experience with this material will add to this post. 

The specimen does have a layer of "skin". My personal interpretation is after dino died, due to the mummification process, the tissues shrank and skin was attached on the bone then forming the "skin impression" as the specimen I have.

I agree with the comments that it looks more like mummified skin than an impression.  I would need to hold the specimen to be sure. 

• I found this Informative 1

Could be.  Can we get a closer view of the third photo.  The pattern looks very hadrosaur-skinnish from here.  

I'm in the mummified skin the pattern is almost identical to other examples of hadrosaur impressions I have seen before beautiful piece congratulations.

8 hours ago, jpc said:

Could be.  Can we get a closer view of the third photo.  The pattern looks very hadrosaur-skinnish from here.  

Here is the photo in detail.

20190405_081936.jpg

It seems to look a little more irregular than most dinosaur skin examples. But at the same time there do seem to be details that are fairly typical of dinosaur skin.

Still on the fence but would lean slightly towards it actually being skin impressions.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I when I first looked at this in the first photos I thought you could see the ellipsoid scales but the last close up picture I think it is to much a random pattern to be skin . I am in the mineral camp.