Caesar Creek Fossils

fogo26

Hey all! I'm new to the forums and this is my first post so I figured I'd show off my recent finds. I'm just an 18 year old from Michigan and this was my very first time fossil hunting. Seeing as how there isn't good fossil sites in Michigan, the next best place to look would be Ohio, and luckily I live near the border. I had read different opinions of Caesar Creek and was skeptical of whether or not I would find some good fossils out there, but I decided to go since I had to start somewhere. My family of 5 went down there for the weekend and went to the spillway on Friday. Luckily, the freeze-thaw cycle had just ended and it rained over night. We figured this would be the best chance of the year to find some good fossils. We were the only people there all day and hunted for about 4 hours. With 5 people hunting we were able to find a good amount of fossils. We found a lot of brachiopods and bryozoans of course, and then towards the end we started finding more gastropods and horn corals. We were bummed that we hadn't found any trilobites all day when we finally found the sweet spot. About 10 different pieces of Flexicalymene and 3 of those being whole and enrolled. We were pretty stoked to be able to find those and some of them looked really nice. I realize they're just some basic Ordovician marine fossils but everyone has got to start somewhere and I'm happy with the collection I was able to start. Already planning a trip to Fossil Park in Sylvania for early May since it's just an hour from my house. And then looking to possibly go to Calvert Cliffs/Brownies Beach in Maryland during the summer to look for Miocene shark teeth and others in the Chesapeake. Let me know if you see anything wrong with any ID's, that'd be great but other than that enjoy these mediocre pictures I took. :)IMG_2907.thumb.JPG.798a10e10edb9df91dbd02d55baf05d4.JPG

Edited by fogo26
  • I found this Informative 1

That’s great that you guys found some trilos at such a well known place after such a long haul.  My family of 5 first went there in 1980.   I got an Isotelus and my dad got a crinoid crown.  I still have both, plus a few Flexi rollers found over the years.  My son found a rare cyrtocone nautiloid there maybe 8 years ago.  Now Dad is retired and serves as an Ohio certified volunteer naturalist, at times giving talks and walks at Caesar Creek.

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

You know the u.p has some great fossil sites.  I collect near new berry. There is also a little collection stream just south of Holland, and i've heard there are good places on the grand river, though as of yet I haven't collect there.  I visit family in grand haven...and dont forget the cool site I. Spaulding, Ohio 

Congratulations on your first time out hunting for fossils!  (That trilobite is adorable, by the way! :wub::trilo:)

Some splendid fossils, I love the gastropods and particularly the brachiopods.

Nice haul. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

14 hours ago, fogo26 said:

I realize they're just some basic Ordovician marine fossils

There is nothing wrong with basic (insert formation and facies) fossils :). Thats the foundation.

You did really good, congrats!  And thanks for sharing!
Franz Bernhard