Megalodon teeth Venice beach and shark teeth

Geogrl13!

Good evening,

I wanted to share some pictures of a fossilized whale vertebra and two Megalodon teeth that my boyfriend found while diving at Venice Beach Florida this past weekend. I have been wanting to go fossil hunting for Megalodon teeth in Florida for many years and I was blown away with his finds. 

I was also wondering if anyone can point out if there are any Megalodon teeth in the second picture of the various shark teeth I collected. I am hoping that there is a Meg tooth in there :)

thank you so very much for taking the time to read my post. Any thoughts will be greately appreciated.

Megalodon the apex predator of the prehistoric ocean Rules!

Mina

0C57E86A-6A82-401C-BC0E-FDE13176C353.jpeg

CD99EF41-B957-4C49-8985-481B4F44FAFD.jpeg

No, none of your teeth are megalodon.  It is not necessarily the size.  The smallest meg teeth in the jaw are the ones at the very back of the mouth.  They have a rather thick root and very low crown like the two little teeth next to the quarter in this post:

• I found this Informative 2

8 hours ago, siteseer said:

No, none of your teeth are megalodon.  It is not necessarily the size.

9 hours ago, Geogrl13! said:

I was also wondering if anyone can point out if there are any Megalodon teeth in the second picture of the various shark teeth I collected.

The image that the original poster was inquiring about was the second and not the first. :)

While there are certainly no megs in the "small" teeth in the first image, the second image shows that you did very well diving off Venice. A nice whale vert and a beautiful complete meg and a nice larger "shamer" fraglodon. What is the longest diagonal length on the smaller complete meg?

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

10 minutes ago, digit said:

The image that the original poster was inquiring about was the second and not the first.

The pictures are out of order, She was talking about the group picture of the smaller teeth.

The 2 megs were found by Her boyfriend and are described as megs in the first paragraph.

I agree that there are no megalodon teeth in the group picture. The teeth that kind of look like meg are actually Carcharhinus   sp. .

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

59 minutes ago, ynot said:

The pictures are out of order, She was talking about the group picture of the smaller teeth.

The 2 megs were found by Her boyfriend and are described as megs in the first paragraph.

I agree that there are no megalodon teeth in the group picture. The teeth that kind of look like meg are actually Carcharhinus   sp. .

I agree that most of the teeth are Carcharhinus, but I am curious about that one tooth right in the middle of the  group picture. The root looks pretty thick and when I zoom in I see some serrations, which as far as I am aware Carcharhinus do not possess. Could it not be one a nether region tooth of some kind of mackerel shark, perhaps even Megalodon

21 minutes ago, thebluecatapilla said:

I agree that most of the teeth are Carcharhinus, but I am curious about that one tooth right in the middle of the  group picture. The root looks pretty thick and when I zoom in I see some serrations, which as far as I am aware Carcharhinus do not possess. Could it not be one a nether region tooth of some kind of mackerel shark, perhaps even Megalodon

Several species of Carcharhinus  have serrated teeth.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Ah, yes--slightly confusingly written. ;)

Indeed, none of the small teeth in the first image are megs--mainly worn Carcharhinus as mentioned above.

You can tell these larger meg were teeth found while ocean diving and not Peace River teeth due to the barnacle scars and other encrustations. Some people like to keep these as they are an indication of where and how these teeth were recovered. If they are not desired on the teeth, a soak in a bath of distilled vinegar and some brushing with an old tooth brush should clean them up well.

Cheers.

-Ken

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

Several species of Carcharhinus  have serrated teeth.

Ah yes I was wrong...

Nice finds! Welcome to the forum from New York!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Good morning to all,

I was hoping I had a meg tooth but I will try again next time I visit Florida.

Ken, the smallest complete Meg tooth has a 3inch diagonal length. I think we will keep the barnacles on the vertebra and I will definitely clean up the Meg tooth. Thank you to everyone for the advice. 

Thank you:) 

Mina

That's a nice size meg. My complete meg teeth from the Peace River top out at just around 3.25". I know some members here have pulled some nice larger teeth from land sites here.

I agree that the barnacles would add to the look of the whale vert.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thank you Ken!

There was very little visibility in the ocean when my boyfriend found these teeth and I would would be terrified if I went diving and saw a shark haha!

I would like to check out the Peace river one day. What was it like to find you first Meg tooth? I bet you were extremely happy when you found you first.