Another Marine Bone Id

snaggle

Thanks for the id of the petrosal! Here are two more bones. While not identical (one is larger and darker,) there is a similarity between the 2. Both have a curved side. The brown one looks more complete but both look to have a similar flat ridge (or remnants of it) on the top. Fairly flat at one end (the darker looks to have lost some bone on its flat end, making it curved. 1 inch grid.

Whale2.jpg

Whale3.jpg

Anne

I'm not sure of the type of bone, but I'm going to say reptile in nature, although I'm probably wrong. The color is not really a determining factor other than the fossils mineralized or stained differently over time.

Could you post more photos of the specimens from additional angles? Hopefully it is not too small of a fragment of whatever bone this is a piece of.

bobby

Here are 4 pictures of 3 bones with a lot of similarities. The bottom surface of each is uniformly flat.

Welllll??? Hmmmm???

Anne :)

post-2281-12550946864821_thumb.jpg

post-2281-12550948808542_thumb.jpg

post-2281-12550954249296_thumb.jpg

post-2281-12550956031736_thumb.jpg

These appear to incomplete to make a 100% sure ID, but I am fairly certain that they are some sort of bone fragment from the basicranial region of a cetacean skull (they have that look to them).

Bobby

Bobby,

Is there enough bone on the 2 right pieces to suggest that they are the same part of the basicranial region? If so, they appear to be mirror images or left/right pieces.

Thanks for the help. If you're not bored with this, would some more bone ID be ok? Am I hogging the board?

Anne

Um, they do appear to be from the same part of the skull - I feel safe saying that. Otherwise, feel free to post as many pics for ID as you feel like.

Bobby

Thanks. I'll keep the pieces to those which are most complete and not as small. Most, if not all, of the bone material is cetacean.

Anne