Don't worry little Trilobite! I'll get you out!

Trinitydraco

So I just started practicing my fossil prepping with just some basic dental tools on this little trilobite! I just got sent a set of 4 small, unprepped trilobites and as my new air tools still haven't come in yet I thought I would play with the dental tools for a bit. I'm going very gentle and very slow. I am finding the curved edge of an angle pick to be pretty good for going around the edges without running the risk of gouging anything. It's very relaxing! I'm sure my tools will arrive before I finish freeing this little guy but I couldn't wait to play with him! I need to fully extract a couple for a small display project I have planned involving the trilobites and some microfossils in a tiny glass case. I am putting sand down on the backing and placing very small shark teeth around the edges and then arranging two trilobites, a tiny ammonite, and some VERY tiny shells! As I am determined to prep everything myself it's gonna take a while but I think it will look awesome when done. Say hi to George! (I named him George :trilowalk:

IMG_0684.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Hi George, I hope your momma will get you out :)

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Today's progress on George...I can see all of him now...well...I could...but I'm going blind from staring at him! 

IMG_0687.JPG

3 hours ago, Trinitydraco said:

It's very relaxing!

I am very glad you are experiencing that benefit. I find the "relaxed alertness" required by prep work to be similar to meditation. The repetitive movement and focused attention contribute to a mental freedom. One concern, be mindful of repetitive stress of your hands. It is very easy to be so entranced that you overdo in terms of hand strain.

In the mid-80s I wished to find an activity to relieve the pernicious effects of a very stressful career. I had a small fossil collection and hit upon the idea of prepping. It was a great decision, that lead me to a very enjoyable (and beneficial) activity. Good luck, have fun.

• I found this Informative 3

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

4 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

I am very glad you are experiencing that benefit. I find the "relaxed alertness" required by prep work to be similar to meditation. The repetitive movement and focused attention contribute to a mental freedom. One concern, be mindful of repetitive stress of your hands. It is very easy to be so entranced that you overdo in terms of hand strain.

In the mid-80s I wished to find an activity to relieve the pernicious effects of a very stressful career. I had a small fossil collection and hit upon the idea of prepping. It was a great decision, that lead me to a very enjoyable (and beneficial) activity. Good luck, have fun.

I wholeheartedly agree. Prepping is the best anti-anxiety habit in the world. I think of it as relaxed focus. Find a comfy spot, make sure you’re protected (more important with powered methods) and have at it.

• I found this Informative 1

Eye stress is a real thing. Every 15 or 20 minutes get up and walk around for about 5 minutes. It'll do wonders for your back and neck too. Fine detail work like that can do a lot of physical damage in a hurry, so take frequent breaks. Trust me, I've done a bunch of Green River fish plates. Also, depending on how much of a mess you're making, don't breathe the dust.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I'm not sure that is a complete trilobite. :unsure:

I see a pygidium, but am not sure what the other item is - doesn't look like any other part of a trilobite. :headscratch:

IMG_0687.JPG.38ec3457fa80c6572669de1a4154746b.JPG

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That other part is clearly that little trilobite's sleeping bag. He was obviously out camping, enjoying the beautiful spring weather, when suddenly and without warning, he became a fossil. It's a sad, but common story. 

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

George is the least complete of the bunch. That's why I am prepping him first. I just call it "complete" If I have a butt and a head! (George lost his jacket but we won't say anything!...shhhh) LOL Thank you all so much for the very helpful advice on eye and body fatigue. I have had several back surgeries and have really bad vision to begin with!