Spinosaurid foot claw, does it look ok?

Hi,

I have asked before a couple of times about Spinosaur hand claws, i figured my best bet was to look for a Spinosaur foot claw since they seem to be cheaper and less faked imo. I saw this small foot claw supposedly from a Spinosaur (from the Kem Kem) that looks good, but i know i should post it here before thinking about a possible purchase. The seller says it has minor repair. Thanks in advance!

Dinoclaw9F__92939.1528907367.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

Dinoclaw9D__98252.1528907367.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

Dinoclaw9E__93047.1528907367.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

Dinoclaw9C__67900.1528907367.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

Dinoclaw9A__56625.1528907367.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

Dinoclaw9B__83344.1528907367.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

We have a pretty good understanding of what a Spinosaurid foot claw looks like see attached illustration.   However we cannot distinguish between species so all should be described as Spinosaurid indet.   

Your claw has features of being one but I cannot say for sure until I can get a good photo of its base.  Im looking for the dimple I've circled on the ventral surface.   Sellers always take oblique photos of speciems which does not aid in identification 

Screenshot_20190418-092810.thumb.jpg.887e08659a97a1e0e3652a17dd6d5800.jpg

Identification is one issue but a larger one is the irregular blotches on the surface of this claw.  It appears that its been poorly repaired by inlaying bone or fill to try to achieve a smooth surface.  Its difficult to tell how much has been reconstructed why I would pass on this specimen.

• I found this Informative 4

Thanks, yeah because how sellers take oblique photos instead of straight on photos, i have been too hesitant to identify these sort of fossils without the fossil in hand. There is however a youtube video posted by the seller that shows the same fossil in all angles......although i don't know if i am allowed to post the link since it will identify the seller (sellers website is listed on the video).

I can't see a dimple either but when the seller says minor restoration, i have been trying to see where the work has been done and if it is only minor. Might be better to pass on this.

• 2 weeks later...