Pennsylvanian Fossils from the Glenshaw Formation

cngodles

CG-0152, the Fossil Taproot

Pine Creek limestone

Update.

This root is likely a root of either a cordaitalean or a conifer. The cordaitaleans preferred wet areas, so it is much more likely the identification. Conifers preferred well drained soils and were rare to preserve, as sediments aren't as likely to be lain in drier areas in comparison. For proper identification, I should attempt a thin section, which I do not have the resources to do currently.

I've added further research and photos at the link above. I hope to at least polish the current exposed end to better understand the cross-section.

This really fueled my desire to understand fossil tree types from the Carboniferous period in general, and I've been doing research. I hope to write an article online soon to help others searching for information about the interesting trees from this period of time.

CG-0153, Petrified Wood

Pine Creek limestone

This specimen was recovered in the talus directly below CG-0152. It's a piece of petrified wood, and has a break in it, likely from it's original vertical position, where horizontal stress fractures in the matrix split it. It is certainly a clue to the identification of the taproot, but is only circumstantial evidence. Perhaps it's a branch from the plant that owned the root, or even a relative from 10,000 years after it was buried? I'll never know.

CG-0153-petrified-wood-003.jpg

CG-0153-petrified-wood-004.jpg

CG-0154, Petalodus ohioensis

Pine Creek limestone

My second recovery from the Pine Creek limestone. It has very little preserved surface enamel. Only from collecting so many of these was I able to recognize this as a tooth remain. I brought several boulders home and split and worked on them for quite some time, recovering all sorts of interesting specimens. This was part of that effort.

CG-0154-petalodus-ohioensis-pine-creek-0

CG-0155, Strobeus brevis

Pine Creek limestone

Teeny-tiny gastropods (snails). I feel like the smaller these are, the better their preservation. The aperture here is well preserved. The spire appears to be a preservation of four or even five complete whorls. Each black line on the background scale is 1mm.

CG-0155-gastropod-pine-creek-003-scaled.

CG-0155-gastropod-pine-creek-002.jpg

• Enjoyed 1
  • 2 weeks later...

trilobite-scaled.jpg

Trilobite

Brush Creek Limestone

I broke open soft iron-mud concretions at the top of the limestone and inside one I found two trilobites. One I thought was my first ever rolled trilobite, however it was preserved attached to a gastropod shell that was super convincing. The one photographed was a secondary one I've been working it. Everything is super fragile, I could crush this to dust simply by pressing on it with a finger. Nice detail, but super tiny, I think it was less than 4mm wide.

##########################

CC2F6923-369E-4121-BEAB-5ABAE7F51D1B-sca

00054E43-C4D0-473A-A7FB-F7E23AAFA015.jpe

CG-0156, Metacoceras sp.

Brush Creek limestone

Yet another Metacoceras example. I spent a good amount of time prepping this one, and was able to clean out the umbilical area with an air-scribe without damaging the shell. You can see the growth lines well. Also, there is a brachiopod pretty much perfectly embedded in the umbilical area.

More reading about this specimen here -> Metacoceras with Brachiopod

• Enjoyed 3