Amber?

gieserguy

This was in a collection of decorative eggs from my grandfather. 

What do you guys think of it, is it genuine?

24A9142F-E62F-4133-BE89-BB4AA926E66C.jpeg

There's a lot of crazing and inclusion mumbo- jumbo you dont normally see in fakes.  I would say this is a real piece of Amber or copal.

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I think it's genuine, yes. Generally, with fakes, the inclusions are placed mostly in the center & "posed" rather unnaturally. And they usually don't have other stuff in them. That looks like a good sized piece of either Baltic or Dominican amber by the clarity. Very nice! Do you know where he got it?

• I found this Informative 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Was your grandfather Polish? If so, it's probably Baltic amber.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

23 hours ago, caldigger said:

There's a lot of crazing and inclusion mumbo- jumbo you dont normally see in fakes.  I would say this is a real piece of Amber or copal.

Oh stellar, that's fantastic news! I had convinced myself it was fake for same reason.

23 hours ago, daves64 said:

I think it's genuine, yes. Generally, with fakes, the inclusions are placed mostly in the center & "posed" rather unnaturally. And they usually don't have other stuff in them. That looks like a good sized piece of either Baltic or Dominican amber by the clarity. Very nice! Do you know where he got it?

Awesome, thank you! Unfortunately I’m not sure where he got it, it was just another egg in the basket. 

7B456BF2-BE50-4ADC-A886-40D00122B074.jpeg

21 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Was your grandfather Polish? If so, it's probably Baltic amber.

So technically, he was my step-grandfather, and unfortunately we don’t actually know his heritage. 

I don’t know much about name history, but his last name was Curl if that helps. 

50 minutes ago, gieserguy said:

So technically, he was my step-grandfather, and unfortunately we don’t actually know his heritage. 

I don’t know much about name history, but his last name was Curl if that helps. 

Not Polish -- I thought that may have been a possibility as very many people in the Chicago area are of Polish origin, myself included. The north of Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia and the Russian exclave in that area are where 80% of the world's amber comes from. Many immigrants from that area brought it with them to the Chicago area.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

3 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Not Polish -- I thought that may have been a possibility as very many people in the Chicago area are of Polish origin, myself included. The north of Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia and the Russian exclave in that area are where 80% of the world's amber comes from. Many immigrants from that area brought it with them to the Chicago area.

Oh wow, I didn't know that much amber came from there! Very interesting!