Early B-Day Gift

Nimravis

When I got down to Georgia my wife had an early birthday gift for me. She always tries to get me things that are fossil, rock climbing or backpacking related. This time she said that she searched the Fossil Forum site and some member was talking about chisels, so she bought the ones below. These should be great when collecting my Ordovician or Pennsylvanian road cuts.

CDC21B38-4937-4846-ADE3-AD31E576D3F8.thumb.jpeg.e3a003c15e4403d730061776314ab73f.jpeg

• I found this Informative 8

Nice presents!

That's a good wife! She's a keeper. ;) 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

52 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Nice presents!

That's a good wife! She's a keeper. ;) 

Well they've been together since they were essentially kids, I have a good feeling he's gonna have this one stick around for a while.  ;)

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

Well they've been together since they were essentially kids, I have a good feeling he's gonna have this one stick around for a while.  ;)

Probably a little while- :zzzzscratchchin:

• I found this Informative 1

Those are some very nice chisels. They make splitting shale so much easier.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

1 minute ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Those are some very nice chisels. They make splitting shale so much easier.

I would not use these for the Georgia matrix, that stuff is easily split by holding it in my hand and striking with the hammer in my other. I will use these for hard rock exposures.

These are actually the finishing prep tools, you should see what he uses out in the field! :P

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Estwing -- that's the good stuff, and they have little skulls on them too. Really cool.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I got bad experience with the 3rd from the left.

Decided to invest in a "brand" chisel so i bought this one.

First time out, i got it totatlly twisted.

So i call the retailer, he goes "are you using it properlly?". Come on... After some discussion, i send him the "corpse", he send me a new one.

First day out and guess out.... Twisted again. Indeed twice i paid for the shipping...

Same stuff with the retailer. This time, i go  no i dont want a new one, a credit of the value of the chisel will do.

So faulty batch or whatever, from now i ll stick to my 10 euro do it yoursel store chisel...

35 minutes ago, elcoincoin said:

I got bad experience with the 3rd from the left.

Decided to invest in a "brand" chisel so i bought this one.

First time out, i got it totatlly twisted.

So i call the retailer, he goes "are you using it properlly?". Come on... After some discussion, i send him the "corpse", he send me a new one.

First day out and guess out.... Twisted again. Indeed twice i paid for the shipping...

Same stuff with the retailer. This time, i go  no i dont want a new one, a credit of the value of the chisel will do.

So faulty batch or whatever, from now i ll stick to my 10 euro do it yoursel store chisel...

It's a chisel, not a pry bar. If you use one to pry bedding apart you are not using it correctly. How does one "twist" a chisel?

Mark.

7 hours ago, ynot said:

Happy birthday Ralph!

Nice tools to add to the weight of Your pack.

Thanks Tony, and I was thinking the same thing The one nice thing with these chisels is that they have some color, I cannot tell you how many I have left in the field because I could not find them after putting them down.

6 hours ago, caldigger said:

These are actually the finishing prep tools, you should see what he uses out in the field! :P

Lol Doren- this is true, I am not the gentlest person getting fossils out.

1 hour ago, elcoincoin said:

got bad experience with the 3rd from the left.

Thanks for the info, I will watch while using it.

31 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

How does one "twist" a chisel?

I bet I can- lol. Let’s hope not, I don’t need to hear anything from the wife :)

5 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

I bet I can- lol. Let’s hope not, I don’t need to hear anything from the wife :)

My point is if you twist a chisel you're not using it properly. I gave up on carrying chisels and hammers and pry bars -- way too heavy. Half a dozen sticks of dynamite -- ten times the bang (literally) at 1/10 the weight.

Mark.

1 hour ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

My point is if you twist a chisel you're not using it properly. I gave up on carrying chisels and hammers and pry bars -- way too heavy. Half a dozen sticks of dynamite -- ten times the bang (literally) at 1/10 the weight.

The highway department tends to frown on the use of dynamite by us nonemployees on their roadcuts. :yay-smiley-1:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 minutes ago, caldigger said:

The highway department tends to frown on the use of dynamite by us nonemployees on their roadcuts. :yay-smiley-1:

1/4 stick at a time and hardly anyone notices, sometimes. Just have to be aware of where the flying debris will go. :heartylaugh:

Mark.

1 hour ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

1/4 stick at a time and hardly anyone notices, sometimes. Just have to be aware of where the flying debris will go. :heartylaugh:

A 1/4 or half stick of dynamite in rapid succession is just like a normal night sound in Chicago.

39 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

A 1/4 or half stick of dynamite in rapid succession is just like a normal night sound in Chicago.

Actually sounds like a quiet night! :P

I've seen the movies, all you guys carry "Tommy" guns in violin cases. :default_rofl:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

10 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Actually sounds like a quiet night! :P

I've seen the movies, all you guys carry "Tommy" guns in violin cases. :default_rofl:

Cello cases. They don't fit in a violin case and the extra room comes in handy for storing additional ammunition.

Mark.

Nope!  You never see a gangster movie with the henchmen carting cello cases around.  Let's compromise and settle on the Viola!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Really nice present, Ralph! 

Happy Birthday, old chap. 

Please save me some cake. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png