BeachComber76

Looks like a chunk of tumbled slag to me.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

il_fullxfull.854513993_4ukc.jpg

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

There might be two things in my mind, a phosphate / phosphatic nodule or a hyperostosed fish vertebra. Hard to decide having only one picture of one side. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

More photos, please. Imagine that it is resting in a transparent cube. Get a photo of each of the six sides of the cube and label each as top, left, right, front, back and bottom. Take each photo without "moving" the cube (as if it were floating and you just moved the camera around it).

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

25 minutes ago, BeachComber76 said:

I'm not putting it in a cube, sorry.

He meant a virtual cube, not an actual one. It often helps with an ID if We can see all six sides/views.

I still think it is a phosphate nodule, not a fossil.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I think Abysunder has it.

It's very worn and a lot of this material is found on the beach. I can understand when someone has experience with slag seeing slag here or even if one is from an area with volcanic rocks a volcanic rock. Keep in mind that there are a lot of phosphatic clasts at our beaches derived from lag deposits. Sometimes one can even find a near round pebble with just enough remaining of its's origins to identify it.

Beachcomber76; If you get a chance please take a pic at the beach of the black gravel that is the source of most fossils at our beaches. This will enlighten the folks that haven't seen phosphatic clast concentrations. Many of these black pebbles were once identifiable fossils.