Good Websites to ID Fossils.

suchomimus20

I was wondering if theirs any good websites to identify a wide range of things (shark teeth, bones, cephalopod, fish, ray teeth, coral, etc). individual website will be helpful to but preferably one with a lot of fossil ID.

Just post your ID's on this forum :D

Appart from that I have my doubts on using the internet for ID's , I often see mistakes on the web.

The best way in my opinion is to find papers or books relative to the location and fossils that you have, but it is not always easy.

• I found this Informative 5

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Most of the other 'Fossil ID websites" I have seen on-line will let anyone give an opinion on what they think  your fossil may be. Most of those guesses are wrong. :( 

Here on the Forum, you have a concentrated mix of professionals, avocational collectors, hobby collectors, and newbs.

I have seen some very odd things posted here in my 9 years on the Forum, and am constantly amazed at the collective knowledge of this group, where very few fossils go unidentified. :) 

• I found this Informative 8

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I suspect the target may have been more off the rack IDs as opposed to the custom tailored work. 

• I found this Informative 1

The Fossil Forum is the best place for fossil ID's though I agree with @Troodon that Elasmo is very helpful for shark material. I have been collecting shark teeth for years but I am new to dinosaurs and I use the forum all the time. There are people here who know their stuff and do the work to learn how to ID fossils. Great resource full of great people.

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks for telling me the information, i'll go here first for any ID.