Vertebra?

LBI

Okay. It’s just that I’ve already influenced his opinion by stating what I believe it to be. 

But it I’ll let you guys know what I believe it to be. BELIEVE it to be. Haven’t proved it yet, but I think it is the tail club of Ankylosaurus. It was 4’, bound in hard clay, I have several of the vertebrae as well. 

C5C2256D-4168-464C-9EA3-A2A85684E1E3.jpeg

19 minutes ago, LBI said:

4B532B27-E6D5-4B6C-856F-E292D4E82998.jpeg

This appears to be manganese staining along faulting within the rock.  It is not dinosaur related.  Closeups might help with a better ID.

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

LBI,that's figure 7 from Arbour & Mallon,BTW

(from the open access journal Facets/June 2017)

Unfortunately, belief does not make it so.  :( 

The rock is not bone material, and not really shaped like an ankylosaur tail club. 

Have ankylosaur fossils been found in your area before? 

How deep it was buried has no bearing on whether something is a fossil or not. :shrug:

hqdefault.jpg  41598_2018_21924_Fig6_HTML.jpg

2cb23629dcdd6936f7ece027a4c4c7c8.jpg

27561856061_1b2f0b3c88_b.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yup. Rock. Not bone. Sorry. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It is all weathered limestone karst. You are seeing shapes in clouds. Either that, or you are having an amusing time with us.

Take them to the Bandera Natural History Museum, and get the opinion of a geologist. You will see that what you have is pretty amazing; just not what you think it is.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

All I can say is wow.   LBI, everyone on here WANTS to ID anything that everyone take pics of as fossils.  They would love to say, for instance that the last one was a tail club.  

You said yourself self that you were new to this. Take note of what everyone else is saying, many people here have been doing this for years and years.   Yes, no one is perfect and pictures can sometimes mask features, but any time that I have seen a fossil ID’d as a rock, at least one person has said “wait a minute, I see something” and most of the time it is more than one.

Shapes do not tell you much in and of themselves, but shapes with TEXTURE do.  I have 5 different things on my desk right now that look like fossils.  3 “shark teeth”, one “vert”, and one “jaw section” that even has holes in it where the “teeth” were.  None of these are fossils.  Even in my limited knowledge, I know this, because of texture.  The “teeth” are not serrated and there are no lines on them.  The “vert” and “jaw” do not have the texture of bone. If I had a dollar for every rock that I picked up that looked like a fossil, I would have a lot of spare cash.

Here is the good news.  Yes, of the ones that you have found some have shapes of fossils, keep looking for and finding those things, at some point, you will find fossils.  Knowing the shapes is half the battle, that is what you see from afar, but then look for texture.   

When I first started, I joined a local paleo society and that had a lot of good field trips to fossil producing sites.  It’s great to know what you are finding is fossils and have people there in person that can say yay or nay.  

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, LBI said:

What is figure 7???

Figure 7 is the one between figure 6 and figure 8, but that's not important. The thing that is important is the publication in which it's found. You would already know what figure 7 is if you had read the rest of the page from which you took the line drawing you posted, or had even read the entire document to learn about it.

And yes, when you read those documents you have to use a dictionary or Google the definitions of lots of the words they use. If you don't you won't understand a thing they're talking about. I'm 68 years old and don't know at least half of them. That's why it takes the average amateur collector like me hours to read one and understand it. But each time I read one I learn and remember more than I did before. In about 100 years I'll be fluent in the language of science, as long as they don't come up with anything new between now and then.

There is one thing that should be painfully evident to you at this point. Your knowledge will never exceed the collective knowledge on this forum. You can count on that. It's not a judgement, it's just math -- statistics and probability.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Nothing more to learn here. We hope the original poster will chose to take his finds somewhere else if he is not getting the answers here he seeks.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

• digit locked this topic