Trying a Different Spot in the Mid-Atlantic Miocene

I_gotta_rock

I've been hearing about Chippokes Plantaion State Park in Surry, VA for the last year or so. Finally got out there this weekend. Being a shell person, I was rather disappointed that the only thing one is allowed to collect at that park is shark teeth. But, they do allow something to be collected and pictures don't require more shelves to be installed in the family room.

Here's a video I did f the trip: 

Plus a few still highlights:

IMG_6069.thumb.jpg.d74a8b8539dd48e6c759245f24e548f3.jpg I

I think the vultures were waiting for the cliff to fall on my head.

5cd370fc08e94_sunrisecomposite2.thumb.jpg.4c96452adb508d37c6c26dccbb09adb9.jpgIMG_6039.thumb.jpg.d9f41bb0c37af247fc094e9618a8ece2.jpgIMG_5962.thumb.jpg.40992da5d872e514ec7095d29cb5dc84.jpg

Sun up, sundown and a beautiful day in-between

IMG_3681.thumb.jpg.4ef42a04279842a31a0b9e2e91a9f535.jpg

The shells just carpet the beach at low tide!

IMG_6049a.jpg.8e8c772fc341ff7499ff2a70abaa358a.jpg

Look, Ma! Both valves!

IMG_3648.thumb.jpg.fe04c95e54023dd812d7e2fb0114068a.jpgIMG_6091_1.thumb.jpg.95b1ccabb73ca39ee19c183419787b4e.jpgIMG_6076.thumb.jpg.f19c5fd3c2a0cf1361c4eb43473a79c2.jpgIMG_5979.jpg.718b92d6a496fd078faaaf5956a64c3e.jpgIMG_6036a.jpg.7c23418d01f63bbdb373881b60ce9235.jpg

IMG_5953.jpg

There was definitely more to that Ecphora. I just didn't take a picture after I pulled it out. All it was missing was the protoconch.

• I found this Informative 5

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

Well you did find a shark tooth. No need for an extra shelf. I believe it will fit in somewhere. Nice find. Do you know what species it is?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Just now, Mark Kmiecik said:

Well you did find a shark tooth. No need for an extra shelf. I believe it will fit in somewhere. Nice find. Do you know what species it is?

Requiem shark family, probably bull shark, according to my Central Virginia group.

Just now, I_gotta_rock said:

Requiem shark family, probably bull shark, according to my Central Virginia group.

Cool.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Vast majority of Chippokes SP strata is Yorktown Formation of the Pliocene.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Beautiful photos, thanks for showing them. :wub:

Have the rules changed at Chippokes?  Some years ago a Forum member (Brachiomyback I think) posted about a visit there.  As I recall the rule then was you could take what you could hold in your hands.  He collected some nice Chesapecten jeffersonius I thnk.

Don

13 minutes ago, SailingAlongToo said:

Vast majority of Chippokes SP strata is Yorktown Formation of the Pliocene.

That's what I thought, but I saw a comment one someone else's Chippokes post from Luak Ward saying that it was Cobham Bay member. Are they shallow layers and both present?

4 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Beautiful photos, thanks for showing them. :wub:

Have the rules changed at Chippokes?  Some years ago a Forum member (Brachiomyback I think) posted about a visit there.  As I recall the rule then was you could take what you could hold in your hands.  He collected some nice Chesapecten jeffersonius I thnk.

Don

All I can say is probably? This was my first time there, being from 5 hours north. But, it says in the fossil pamphlet only shark teeth and the volunteer in the visitor center said the same thing. When I asked why shark teeth and not the common stuff, he said, "Because the shells are millions of years old." Um, okay?

2 minutes ago, I_gotta_rock said:

All I can say is probably? This was my first time there, being from 5 hours north. But, it says in the fossil pamphlet only shark teeth and the volunteer in the visitor center said the same thing. When I asked why shark teeth and not the common stuff, he said, "Because the shells are millions of years old." Um, okay?

I guess we should be careful to not mention that the shark teeth are also millions of years old. :wacko:

Don

Just now, FossilDAWG said:

I guess we should be careful to not mention that the shark teeth are also millions of years old. :wacko:

Don

Seriously!

Very strange rules. 

However, there are some beautiful photos there and I would think the memories alone are worth having. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

What!  You picked up fossil shark teeth?

You're only supposed to collect the modern ones there! :heartylaugh:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

@I_gotta_rock Thanks very much for sharing this. On the one hand I can understand why the authorities would like to preserve the good shells for the viewing pleasure of any visitors, on the other hand it's a pity that they will all be lost for posterity within a few decades due to the tooth of time. What is their reasoning here?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

@I_gotta_rock Thanks very much for sharing this. On the one hand I can understand why the authorities would like to preserve the good shells for the viewing pleasure of any visitors, on the other hand it's a pity that they will all be lost for posterity within a few decades due to the tooth of time. What is their reasoning here?

"The tooth of time"???

Not to mention the good (and bad) shells being crushed under the feet of visitors.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Beautiful photography makes this a special report. Thanks for sharing.

11 hours ago, I_gotta_rock said:

That's what I thought, but I saw a comment one someone else's Chippokes post from Luak Ward saying that it was Cobham Bay member. Are they shallow layers and both present?

The Cobham Bay member of the Eastover Formation (Upper Miocene) is th layer at the base of the bluffs. Everything above that is Yorktown Formation of the Pliocene, except for the small unconsolidated band at the top which is Pleistocene. 

The Chesapecten jeffersonius are coming from the Yorktown. Ecphora come from both.

• I found this Informative 1

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Nice finds! Shame that the rules are so strict... 

I especially like the nice not-worn clam you show. I can't see the hinge so I can't tell if it's Veneridae or Astartidae; do you know what species it is?

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

52 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Nice finds! Shame that the rules are so strict... 

I especially like the nice not-worn clam you show. I can't see the hinge so I can't tell if it's Veneridae or Astartidae; do you know what species it is?

Lirohora so., I think. Haven't dug into IDs yet. This is all a little younger than my usual finds.

• I found this Informative 1

Nice trip!! Someday I’ll go fossil hunting in something other than the Paleozoic haha. Upstate New York keeps me busy but seeing trips like these really makes me want to take that drive :). Thanks for sharing!