A couple of oddities

Shellseeker

I always have stuff that could be IDed because I am always imagining that it is something that it is not... may be true here also:

Whenever I see the multiple holes in a line , I think tooth sockets and thus Jaw. But here I am pretty sure that is not what I have. So, if not jaw, it must be turtle scute,  but this is ODD for turtle.. Anyone come across something similar?  That for all comments and suggestions.  Jack

IMG_5894.thumb.jpg.af03b14082406ce56eaad687e6d78979.jpgIMG_5895.thumb.jpg.4d6d5d5543d6bbd8c107f4c9cf28c722.jpgIMG_5896.thumb.jpg.ab0cc9fec291d86d1213e90dc6de90bf.jpgIMG_5897.thumb.jpg.b37fffe642b1f52965d2a8feb470d3a7.jpgIMG_5898.thumb.jpg.b682c5639c05992d0b074d1e643b24a0.jpgIMG_5899.thumb.jpg.c1f3bd42bfb0fa45cc5db90e3f53b013.jpg

Then a small incisor that should be horse, but might be camel or...

IMG_5909crop.JPG.c70963901509a04176856a26ab24198f.JPG5910Crop.JPG.22bab129a4eabf0c43d20ce55593e7a6.JPG5911Crop.JPG.369cbcd8ba917c6b753dd22ad3e55358.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I'm no expert, but could the first one be a sawfish rostrum?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

5 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Thanks for the response.

I have seen some Sawfish Rostrum, and I can see the similarities between them and this fossil.  There is great diversity in rostrums, so I can not be sure that it is not one.

This seems to be an osteoderm or scute that you might find from turtles, but it also has what seems to be tooth socket holes on each edge.  I am sort of expecting someone to have seen it before  or at least hope that happens.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

11 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Sawfish rostra are composed of prismatic cartilage. This appears to be bone.

• I found this Informative 1

The form of the first specimen does resemble a sawfish rostrum with rostral tooth holes on each side and canals running down the inside.  However, rostrums are cartilage not bone, as Eric states above.  You need to look at the specimen surface under magnification.  If no prism pattern is seen, then the specimen isn't a rostrum.  I really don't have any other id suggestions.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 1

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

2 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

The form of the first specimen does resemble a sawfish rostrum with rostral tooth holes on each side and canals running down the inside.  However, rostrums are cartilage not bone, as Eric states above.  You need to look at the specimen surface under magnification.  If no prism pattern is seen, then the specimen isn't a rostrum.  I really don't have any other id suggestions.

Marco Sr.

Thanks to all for the insights.  Agree that this is a bone like pattern.

FossilTFFcrop.JPG.92e652d22b7c8fd8956bdedbc8281404.JPG

9 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Sawfish rostra are composed of prismatic cartilage. This appears to be bone.

Got it. Very informative. Thank You. I'll look for more info about that so I can see the difference.

Mark.

5 hours ago, Carl said:

Could it be a keeled sternum with the divots being were the ribs attached?

Would that be indicative of a raptor?

Mark.

18 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Would that be indicative of a raptor?

I suspect you mean "raptor" as in "bird of prey" rather than "dromaeosaur," but I guess either would work as sterna like this are present in both groups, and they are certainly more widespread than just those 2 groups. But as this was (I'm guessing) found in Florida, there's virtually no chance it's a dromaeosaur anyway.