fossilized6s

Yesterday i found a very rare Megalichthys jaw with dozens of teeth still attached in the Carboniferous of Illinois, USA.

This is possibly the best known example of this fish found in Illinois. Not sure yet though. I still need to do more research. 

You can see four larger teeth in cross-section on the matrix waiting to be prepped out. Then there are smaller teeth in-between the larger ones, maybe 4× smaller. I also found several large scales. I'll attach the best one. All of this material still needs a proper repair and prep job.

The preservation on this material is just stunning. I'm not sure it could get much better. These bone fragments and scales are often found with Orthacanthus teeth and Calamites. So it gives us such a beautiful snapshot of the environment at the time. Just awesome!

Happy hunting

20190513_195809_1557799166656.thumb.jpg.fc387664364aefbe4a4d8f5856b16efd.jpg

20190513_200301_1557799196117.thumb.jpg.658ae9f82810f03abf438c1ad09e4f79.jpg

20190513_195546_1557799116759.thumb.jpg.fac89cad543865df4893089ec90ee176.jpg

20190513_195444_1557799060427.thumb.jpg.ffb8c25be77fcf32b0699d61697083d1.jpg

• I found this Informative 16

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Wow, Charlie! Awesome find!   :drool:

Congratulations!  :wub: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wow! That is spectacular! Even in its un-prepped state, I think you have something that would be appreciated in this month's FOTM entries. This needs to get as wide an audience as possible on this forum--quite a find!

Are you working with anybody who knows these lobe-finned fishes? I'm wondering if this find is worthy of a paper? I expect you already have plans to head back to where you found this to see if any additional associated material might be found. Really quite spectacular!

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Wow, Charlie! Awesome find!   :drool:

Congratulations!  :wub: 

Thanks, Tim

1 hour ago, digit said:

Wow! That is spectacular! Even in its un-prepped state, I think you have something that would be appreciated in this month's FOTM entries. This needs to get as wide an audience as possible on this forum--quite a find!

Are you working with anybody who knows these lobe-finned fishes? I'm wondering if this find is worthy of a paper? I expect you already have plans to head back to where you found this to see if any additional associated material might be found. Really quite spectacular!

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks, Ken. I'm in contact with a local paleontologist that shows interest and has helped me along. But the site is just too erratic in my opinion to write a proper paper.

This jaw came from a giant concretion type rock and no other pieces were associated unfortunately. 

As for FOTM, I've won enough. Let some others have there shot. 

• I found this Informative 4

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Wow, another exceptional find. That is a beauty, and I can't wait to see it prepped!

9 hours ago, fossilized6s said:

Thanks, Tim

Thanks, Ken. I'm in contact with a local paleontologist that shows interest and has helped me along. But the site is just too erratic in my opinion to write a proper paper.

This jaw came from a giant concretion type rock and no other pieces were associated unfortunately. 

As for FOTM, I've won enough. Let some others have there shot. 

Win again!

I'm glad you've found a local paleontologist to help you with this piece. I'd think that if it does turn out to be the best example from Illinois that it might be worth a paper. Even though this came from an isolated concretion (limiting chances for more of this same individual), I bet this increased your interest in continuing to hunt this locality. Our collective fingers are crossed that you score some more awesome fossils from this spot.

:fingerscrossed:

Cheers.

-Ken

Fossils generally happen one at a time, so if not the exact spot then at least the close area of this find begs another visit. The preservation of detail is amazing!

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 5/14/2019 at 7:23 AM, fossi59 said:

Fantastic piece. Congratulations

Thank you

On 5/14/2019 at 8:35 AM, deutscheben said:

Wow, another exceptional find. That is a beauty, and I can't wait to see it prepped!

Thank you. You and me both. Have to get my chisel fixed. Haha

On 5/14/2019 at 8:39 AM, Carl said:

Win again!

Yeah right. All though it's extremely rare, it's not a very "showy" piece......yet. 

On 5/14/2019 at 10:47 AM, digit said:

I'm glad you've found a local paleontologist to help you with this piece. I'd think that if it does turn out to be the best example from Illinois that it might be worth a paper. Even though this came from an isolated concretion (limiting chances for more of this same individual), I bet this increased your interest in continuing to hunt this locality. Our collective fingers are crossed that you score some more awesome fossils from this spot.

:fingerscrossed:

Cheers.

-Ken

Yes, i love to hunt this area. The problem is that it's hours away from my house and an exhausting hike to get back there. But i simply love the Carboniferous. 

On 5/14/2019 at 11:30 AM, dalmayshun said:

spectacular

Thank you

On 5/14/2019 at 12:57 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

Fossils generally happen one at a time, so if not the exact spot then at least the close area of this find begs another visit. The preservation of detail is amazing!

Thank you. I hunt this spot regularly. These bones are most likely solitary pieces from Orthacanthus kills/feeding. This is not a rapid burial site, so finding something complete or even associated is most likely never going to happen. 

~Charlie~

The preservation is stunning as is! looking forward to prep. Congrats!

Regards, Chris  

On 5/15/2019 at 7:12 PM, Plantguy said:

The preservation is stunning as is! looking forward to prep. Congrats!

Regards, Chris  

On 5/15/2019 at 9:02 PM, Nimravis said:

Charlie- great find, congrats.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate that. 

~Charlie~

• 3 weeks later...

Wow!  Nice find!

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

On 5/25/2019 at 3:36 AM, smt126 said:

Amazing find Charlie. I can't believe the detailed preservation on that jaw.

On 6/13/2019 at 6:17 PM, ynot said:

Fantastic find!

On 6/16/2019 at 2:11 AM, hemipristis said:

Wow!  Nice find!

Thanks guys, i appreicate it. I still haven't had a chance to prep this piece unfortunately. And i haven't had a chance to go back to this spot either. Hopefully soon though. 

~Charlie~