fake Amber?

suchomimus20

I was thinking about buying this amber from this website online and I've heard about fake insects amber and i was wondering if this was one of the or not.

The specimen is meant to be 5 million years old (Pliocene) measures 30 by 23 mm with unidentified insects and was found in Colombia

a201.jpg

Edited by suchomimus20

I am unsure of the exact amount of time it takes for resin to become amber, but here I believe this is copal, since it is fairly young.

Looks real.

Looks real, but all I've seen coming out of Colombia is copal, not amber. 

there are other ones which are probably the same, I'll upload them to make sure. they are also the same age and size as the previous one.

a169.jpg

a209.jpg

Columbian copal is usually passed off as amber, but it isn't really amber, it's too young. If you find Carribean amber being sold, avoid that as well. That's usually just "enhanced" (heat treated) Columbian copal. If it's really cheap, then go for it. It can make a decent display decoration, but mid to high double digits or higher, avoid it. It's real, not faked. It just isn't actual amber.

• I found this Informative 2

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

If I were you, I would at least look for one with something more interesting inclusion wise.  bugs, a gold dubloon or something.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

On 5/16/2019 at 11:06 PM, daves64 said:

Columbian copal is usually passed off as amber, but it isn't really amber, it's too young. If you find Carribean amber being sold, avoid that as well. That's usually just "enhanced" (heat treated) Columbian copal. If it's really cheap, then go for it. It can make a decent display decoration, but mid to high double digits or higher, avoid it. It's real, not faked. It just isn't actual amber.

Okay i'll avoid buying it, thanks for the infomation