Silurian trilobite?

lissa318

My daughter found this on our trip last Monday.  She has an eye for trilobites and we thought that's what it was.  After looking at it closer today, I'm wondering if it is actually crinoid?  It's the only one we found like it...  Any and all feedback appreciated! Thanks in advance.  :)

20190517_121506.jpg

To my eye, it does indeed look like a partial or very distorted crinoid crown. You can even see where the arms begin to branch. I can't help with a species, but you can rule out trilobite for sure.

• I found this Informative 2

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

7 minutes ago, Northern Sharks said:

To my eye, it does indeed look like a partial or very distorted crinoid crown. You can even see where the arms begin to branch. I can't help with a species, but you can rule out trilobite for sure.

That's what I was thinking!  Trilobite just didn't seem right...  I'm far from an expert though so I figured I'd check?  lol Thanks for your help.  :)

6 minutes ago, Misha said:

Looks somewhat similar to crinoids I have seen, definitely not a trilo.

Thanks I didn't think so but I've been wrong before?!  Hahaha!  Appreciate your feedback.  :)

51 minutes ago, ynot said:

Agree with crinoid. Nice find.

Thanks Tony!!!  Noelle was so excited when she found it!  She loves the trilobites so she might be a little disappointed to find out it isn't one...  She'll get over it though.  lol  :heartylaugh:

31 minutes ago, lissa318 said:

Thanks Tony!!!  Noelle was so excited when she found it!  She loves the trilobites so she might be a little disappointed to find out it isn't one...  She'll get over it though.  lol  :heartylaugh:

Show her a few crinoid plates and she may get over trilobites in a hurry, or just addicted to both.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!