Compressor for prep?!

Fossil-Hound

5 minutes ago, Fossil-Hound said:

Talking to our museum curator and he said there was a way to do it on all Green River layers. He said for split fish you just have to be much more careful but the job can be done with a lighter touch. I'll have to play around and see. Might have to get a Micro Jack #2 to work on those fish or turn the air way down. I've found some split fish that were actually pretty well preserved and hardy whereas others weren't so hardy and were very flaky. I need to call around and see if I can go do one of those pay to digs at night on the 18" but I hear those digs cost some serious money. I do have some connections though.

It can be done but using too big of a tool makes the job harder than it needs to be. I know because I’ve made plenty of jobs harder on myself than they need to be.:P

Those digs do tend to be rather expensive. They sound cool though.

Just now, Ptychodus04 said:

It can be done but using too big of a tool makes the job harder than it needs to be. I know because I’ve made plenty of jobs harder on myself than they need to be.:P

Those digs do tend to be rather expensive. They sound cool though.

That's what I'm saying Kris! I'll have to save up my pennies for one of those super expensive Paleotools. I bet if I use the AmScope with 20x magnification and go really slow the CP will do the job. I have some practice pieces to play around with but 13,500 oscillations per second with the default trip (very large for micro work) is definitely going to make the job difficult. Must find crab concretions to prepare! :crab: :thumbsu:

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

5 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

That's what I'm saying Kris! I'll have to save up my pennies for one of those super expensive Paleotools. I bet if I use the AmScope with 20x magnification and go really slow the CP will do the job. I have some practice pieces to play around with but 13,500 oscillations per second with the default trip (very large for micro work) is definitely going to make the job difficult. Must find crab concretions to prepare! :crab: :thumbsu:

Consolidate after you uncover the smallest bits of fish. That will make a huge difference. @sseth has a scribe he designed for SFL material that is comparatively inexpensive. I plan to buy one eventually to run it through its paces to give it a full review. I just haven’t gotten forgiveness for the Super Jack and the Microblast purchase. :P

Here’s my air filtration setup. This setup runs about $700 but you definitely don’t need as much. You can get a trap from Harbor Freight for about $25.

The red hose comes from my compressor into the two oil/water traps. Then, the line for my scribes tees off before the desiccant since super dry air isn’t important for them and the replacement desiccant cartridge is around $70 (and I need to replace mine soon as it is indicating full).

C2502E40-31E1-4348-8357-6FA2A4515F62.thumb.jpeg.962e3803412a6337dbee6a6114809739.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2