deutscheben

5/13/19 Oglesby, IL Roadcut- Pennsylvanian shark bits, brachiopods and more

deutscheben

And now onto some fish/shark material. Most of what I found is only showing a little bit, so more prep will be needed to determine what exactly it is, or if it is anything more than just scrappy bits. For instance, each of the rocks in this pic show a little spot of black- there is some kind of fish material there. 

5ce2faa3634a9_2019-05-1920_17_47.thumb.jpg.efed43ba81b8d92082db2d1ce5ff85ad.jpg

The next one is also heavily obscured. There may be a lot more there. 5ce2fabf627c5_2019-05-1920_21_33.thumb.jpg.8ff6f3800712f7681d66021728370884.jpg

Mark Kmiecik

Thanks for the tour. 

ynot

Sounds like a good site to go to.

Good luck with the hidden bits You found. Looking forward to seeing them prepped.

The Amateur Paleontologist

Nice report - I like the shark teeth :)

-Christian

Nimravis

Great finds and trip report, hopefully one of us will find a complete shark tooth.

deutscheben
4 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Thanks for the tour. 

You're welcome, I'm glad I could finally get a report up. I've gone fossil hunting about 6 times this spring so far and had only posted the first one. 

3 hours ago, ynot said:

Sounds like a good site to go to.

Good luck with the hidden bits You found. Looking forward to seeing them prepped.

Thanks! Yard work has first priority for now, but hopefully I will be able to do some prep on these before too long. 

3 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Nice report - I like the shark teeth :)

-Christian

Thank you! I like them too, I was so happy to discover shark teeth could be found right here in Illinois. 

1 hour ago, Nimravis said:

Great finds and trip report, hopefully one of us will find a complete shark tooth.

Thanks! With any luck the proposed fossil park will happen and we can look forward to an actual increase in fossil collecting sites for once. 

Wrangellian

I do like those brachiopods... of course I'm sure it's a rush to find those shark teeth and all, too. You didn't mention the partially covered brach on that piece with the possible Pinna, but it looks like a good one. Will you be prepping i out?

Tidgy's Dad

Nice finds indeed. :)

fossilized6s

Nice teeth!

Manticocerasman

great finds,

the fauna is very simmilar of what we found a week ago in our area.

Monica

I love the geodized specimen in particular - it's gorgeous! :wub:

Congratulations on all of the great finds!

deutscheben
12 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

I do like those brachiopods... of course I'm sure it's a rush to find those shark teeth and all, too. You didn't mention the partially covered brach on that piece with the possible Pinna, but it looks like a good one. Will you be prepping i out?

I will definitely try to prep a little more in between the two shells, since it seems both might have more to be exposed. 

11 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice finds indeed. :)

Thanks!

10 hours ago, fossilized6s said:

Nice teeth!

Thank you!

5 hours ago, Manticocerasman said:

great finds,

the fauna is very simmilar of what we found a week ago in our area.

Thank you, I enjoyed your report too and seeing the similarities. 

3 hours ago, Monica said:

I love the geodized specimen in particular - it's gorgeous! :wub:

Congratulations on all of the great finds!

Thanks! I hope with some washing and cleaning up the crystals will look even better. 

gieserguy

This looks like a fun site! I’d love to check it out some time soon. 

sixgill pete

Great finds.

deutscheben

I had some time to do a little prep last night, so here is the Peripristis mostly cleaned:

20190526_113213-1.thumb.jpg.bb5b8b5cb01d1b3b57b11deea3d08299.jpg

deutscheben

After some prep I seem to have uncovered the extent of this piece. This seems to be a non-descript piece of fish bone or perhaps part of a tooth root? 

20190526_134156-1.thumb.jpg.be712c631a306f6e7298e73ef1b796a5.jpg

deutscheben

This next one turned out very nicely- it's a small shark spine. 

20190526_133850-1.thumb.jpg.e46d99f17927b515de5e065b030b0c67.jpg

deutscheben

This little piece of something was on the same rock as the spine above- it's much too small for me to be able to make out any identifying features, unfortunately. 

20190526_133816-1.thumb.jpg.ad4709f9c6abcbdb5e8c02bcdc07e4c5.jpg

Finally, I have mostly prepped this piece out- I stopped because small bits were coming off. I would have to consolidate it before going any further and all I have for that is cyanoacrylate. I'm honestly not really sure what it is- it does not have the enamel shine of shark teeth, with most of it looking more like a tooth root. That plus the multiple small cusps/teeth on top make me think it's actually part of a fish jaw, perhaps? I would love to hear the opinions of some folks who have more experience with Carboniferous fish. @Archie @fossilized6s @TNCollector @RCFossils @Elasmohunter

20190526_133802-1.thumb.jpg.764a30de61a0d6fbe043bac4b973fb37.jpg

deutscheben

@Fossildude19 helpfully suggested in an ID thread that my last piece may be a fish premaxilla, which got me thinking about another one of my finds, the bit associated with the brachiopod shell in my 5th post above. Looking at it in a new light, I am now thinking it is actually a scale, not a tooth. I tried to take a closer pic, but my phone is limited in resolution unfortunately. Here are couple shots in different light:

5cef15c29dd79_2019-05-2918_25_48.jpg.863585335851d153921ea644bf373719.jpg

5cef160cdfed9_2019-05-2908_55_45.thumb.jpg.e5f09155e89d2892f3f3055b09280644.jpg

Archie
On 5/30/2019 at 12:31 AM, deutscheben said:

@Fossildude19 helpfully suggested in an ID thread that my last piece may be a fish premaxilla, which got me thinking about another one of my finds, the bit associated with the brachiopod shell in my 5th post above. Looking at it in a new light, I am now thinking it is actually a scale, not a tooth. I tried to take a closer pic, but my phone is limited in resolution unfortunately. Here are couple shots in different light:

5cef15c29dd79_2019-05-2918_25_48.jpg.863585335851d153921ea644bf373719.jpg

5cef160cdfed9_2019-05-2908_55_45.thumb.jpg.e5f09155e89d2892f3f3055b09280644.jpg

Sorry for the late reply not been able to get on for a while, great finds! This is a really nice example of a Petalorynchid type Petalodont tooth in lingual view, you can see the imbricated basal ridge at the bottom and there's probably be a nice root/tooth base underneath still hidden in the matrix. Coincidentally I prepped one very similar to this last week from a similar aged marine deposit, its in labial view. I couldn't find the root so this is just the crown with the basal ridge (slightly damaged) at the bottom. Your multi-cusped object is definitely a shark tooth too , reminds me very much of the Pristodonts. That spine is really awesome!! :envy:

IMGP7024.JPG