Not a worm infested dinosaur egg...

UPDATE: I politely messaged the seller with the correct ID and have received a very friendly reply thanking me and that there was no intent to deceive.

They say they'll change the listing when back from a foreign holiday. 

UPDATE 2: 3 June 2019 This has now been correctly relisted as a coral - at a much, much lower price (but still a lot more by several times than I'd be prepared to pay if I wanted it, which I don't! - it's a common species).

ORIGINAL POST:Described as a dinosaur egg with worm infestation, and with a very high price tag!

It's obviously a coral colony, probably Diphyphyllum sp.

5ce3e92119431_Screenshot2019-05-21at12_55_56.thumb.png.ca67859fa2b3c5d9699c9903d04ffa03.png

• I found this Informative 3

Tarquin

But I've already transferred [a lot of money] for this once in a lifetime prize specimen! 

I would have gotten the entire clutch of eggs but the price was beyond my monthly fossil budget.  :(

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Just a reminder to not directly quote advertisement copy. ;) 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, TqB said:

This may just be ignorance but they're asking [a lot of money]. :)

Described as a dinosaur egg fossil, infested with  worms.

It's obviously a coral colony, probably Diphyphyllum sp.

Have you attempted to correct the ID by contacting the seller? 

• I found this Informative 1

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

Quite a nice coral. 

I wouldn't mind it in my collection at all. 

But not at that price. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Just a reminder to not directly quote advertisement copy. ;) 

Thanks, Tim, changed it a bit more. I've messaged the seller. I was wondering if copying the photo is acceptable?

Tarquin

UPDATE: I politely messaged the seller with the correct ID and have received a very friendly reply thanking me and that there was no intent to deceive.

They say they'll change the listing when back from a foreign holiday. 

Tarquin

1 hour ago, TqB said:

Thanks, Tim, changed it a bit more. I've messaged the seller. I was wondering if copying the photo is acceptable?

Photos are fine. :)

We just don't want direct ad copy to be posted.  ;) 

1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

Photos are fine. :)

We just don't want direct ad copy to be posted.  ;) 

Got you, thanks!

Tarquin

Wow, that's some very nicely preserved worm lips.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Five days later -- nothing has changed. Same description; same price. No, there's no intent to deceive here -- move along. 

Anytime I need a good laugh I just search "dinosaur egg" on my favorite auction site. Amazing how often new ones show up. I may start keeping track of how many are actually sold. Maybe I can get a government grant to study "paleoauctionism" and its effect on the general public. (Don't you just love the way I used the letters eoau all in a row in one word that I made up all by myself and maybe I'll list it for sale with some of the other words I've invented and make lots of money and then I can retire early and, no, wait, I'm already 68 and on Social Security, oh well, maybe next life and I really love this run-on sentence I've created also and I'll sell that too, and I'll let you know how everything turns out but don't hold your breath.)

:zzzzscratchchin: That's it! I'll start selling my Mazon Creek nodules as ancient plant eggs containing plant embryos! Those are even rarer than dinosaur eggs!!! I'll be a millionaire!!!!!!! 

Mark.

7 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Five days later -- nothing has changed. Same description; same price. No, there's no intent to deceive here -- move along. 

Anytime I need a good laugh I just search "dinosaur egg" on my favorite auction site. Amazing how often new ones show up. I may start keeping track of how many are actually sold. Maybe I can get a government grant to study "paleoauctionism" and its effect on the general public. (Don't you just love the way I used the letters eoau all in a row in one word that I made up all by myself and maybe I'll list it for sale with some of the other words I've invented and make lots of money and then I can retire early and, no, wait, I'm already 68 and on Social Security, oh well, maybe next life and I really love this run-on sentence I've created also and I'll sell that too, and I'll let you know how everything turns out but don't hold your breath.)

:zzzzscratchchin: That's it! I'll start selling my Mazon Creek nodules as ancient plant eggs containing plant embryos! I'll be a millionaire.

:default_rofl: You may be right to be sceptical - they said they were abroad with a poor signal and would change it as soon as possible... At least nobody is likely to shell out that kind of money without knowing what they're after.

Tarquin

2 minutes ago, TqB said:

:default_rofl: You may be right to be sceptical - they said they were abroad with a poor signal and would change it as soon as possible... At least nobody is likely to shell out that kind of money without knowing what they're after.

What's really scary is that there is probably someone out there who, if he had the money, or the asking price is significantly reduced, would actually spend it on this.

If the price comes down to $5 I might buy it. It is a nice coral.

Mark.

I check out the auction sites quite a bit nowadays.  Amazes me to see not just a heck of alot of what I consider to be 'junk', but so much stuff that is misidentified, overpriced and tons and tons of fake stuff.  If one has the time and needs a bit of comical intertainment, its the place to go.  Ha!

RB

• 2 weeks later...

3 June 2019

This has now been correctly relisted as a coral - at a much, much lower price (but still a lot more than I'd be prepared to pay if I wanted it, which I don't! - it's a common species).

Tarquin