Question about shark/fish teeth and casting Aquia formation MD

kate_rose

Hello,

Here are some more of our findings from our 2 brief trips to Purse Park.  I think the shark teeth are Odontaspis winkleri but am not sure.  I have no idea on the small cream tooth other than its probably from a fish . . . (to me it looks surprisingly rodentlike though)??  And the hollow black bit which I initially took to be a casting from an invert burrow I figured can't be since it is hollow.  Anybody have any ideas??  

Thanks,  Kate

mystery1.jpg

O_winkleri.jpg

unknown_smalltooth.jpg

mystery2.jpg

mystery3.jpg

mystery4.jpg

I think you're spot-on with Odontaspis cf. O. winkleri! :dinothumb:

The light-colored item I believe to be the blade of a 'sand shark' tooth. Differing preservation resulted in the lighter color.

Ya got me on the other piece

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Thanks Hemi,   

On the 'sand shark' tooth do you mean crown by when you say blade?  So its just a piece that is really broken up??  Yeah I have only one other whitish tooth from this site.  On the weird casting I was wondering if it could be the fill around a shell stuck inside of another shell mouth (you find them a lot beach combing for shells in the west anyway).  The thing is I would expect a lot of variation in wall thickness if that were the case and this seems to have even wall thickness more or less.  I am tempted to break it open to see if there is any detail on the inside.  I have seen some other very broken bits that looked sort of like this in the same place I will have to pick them up on my next trip.  The material looks a lot like the ray mouth plates I pick up there.

Kate

57 minutes ago, kate_rose said:

So no one has any ideas about the casting?

Could be a burrow cast or just a concretion, where the less stable interior has eroded out.

It is quite worn, so any details that could have distinguished between the two is gone.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Could also be a rhizolith. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 1:45 PM, kate_rose said:

Thanks Hemi,   

On the 'sand shark' tooth do you mean crown by when you say blade?  So its just a piece that is really broken up??  Yeah I have only one other whitish tooth from this site.  On the weird casting I was wondering if it could be the fill around a shell stuck inside of another shell mouth (you find them a lot beach combing for shells in the west anyway).  The thing is I would expect a lot of variation in wall thickness if that were the case and this seems to have even wall thickness more or less.  I am tempted to break it open to see if there is any detail on the inside.  I have seen some other very broken bits that looked sort of like this in the same place I will have to pick them up on my next trip.  The material looks a lot like the ray mouth plates I pick up there.

Kate

yes, crown/blade

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Thanks folks,

OK, it sounds like the hollow bit is a dead end.  I am fairly sure the whitish tooth is not a fragment but I am not sure it is worth pursuing either give the state of the root