torvosaurus tooth

I recently saw this torvosaurus, (i'm guessing tanneri) tooth. it measures 4.25 inches long and is partially rooted. Is this unusually large and rare for this dinosaur? It is from wyoming but isn't torvosaurus tanneri from the Dry Mesa quarry in colorado? Edmarka rex is similar to torvosaurus and its remains were found in wyoming so am i right in saying this tooth could belong to it? How does it look? Thanks in advance.terry_PGBON38.jpg

What's formation is it from? Morisson formation? T. tanneri is not there only big theropod in the Morisson formation and without serration density and other info it's impossible tot determine the exact species. It's a Nice tooth with a very decent size.

• I found this Informative 2

The 4.25" includes the root so the crown size is typical for a Torvosaurus which was a large theropod in the Morrison.  Edmarka rex is a synonym for Torovsaurus.  Dry Mesa Quarry is the Morisson Fm. and Torvo's have been found there.  Just given the crown size its most likely a Torvo but the inadequate photo without any supporting quantative data make its impossible to confirm that diagnoses.  Really need to see photo of all sides and closeups of serrations to make a call on how good a tooth it is..

• I found this Informative 9

I find it highly unlikely that the tooth is from "Edmarka" because it's a synonym of Torvosaurus. A Torvosaurus tanneri phalanx was found at Dry Mesa quarry. If "Edmarka" existed in the area, then it would go directly against Robert Bakker's idea that in each time and area ONE unusually large type of predatory dinosaur evolved to dominate the area. "Edmarka" and Torvosaurus are so similar, if not the same thing, then if they were different Genera one of them would go extinct. That is why any Torvosaurus tanneri find in the Dry Mesa quarry would mean that "Edmarka" could not have existed there.   

I have removed posts that comment on the seller.  Please restrict any commentary to the item posted.  Thanks.  ;)

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

22 hours ago, JohnJ said:

I have removed posts that comment on the seller.  Please restrict any commentary to the item posted.  Thanks.  ;)

Sorry.