Some Funny Looking Crabs !!!

I just noticed on one of our favorite auction sites a fellow selling fossil crabs from Java and called Lophoxanthus scaberrimus.  My jaw dropped to the floor!   Just another reminder to be watchful and careful what you purchase.  Good luck

RB

OK Ron, not being up on my crab knowledge. What is the red flag on these? 

20190601_051317.png

20190601_051341.png

Am I just not seeing something suspicious?  Can you please show us why this is not right.

Are they just modern crabs with matrix and glue added to the arms? :shrug:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

52 minutes ago, caldigger said:

20190601_051317.png  20190601_051341.png

These things have been put together.  Looks like real crab parts, but not sure?  Matrix is about as fake as it gets.  Claws/Propodus may even be carved?  Cant tell whats going on with the legs?  seems to be fake matrix where ever a leg joint is.  Must be parts glue together with this fake matrix.   Lots of people tryin to make a buck in this world.  Buyer beware!!!

RB

• I found this Informative 3

OK, thanks!  All insights as to what to look for may help someone from making a costly mistake.

Steer away from these.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Some of these are also recent crab parts mixed with matrix and glue... Remain skeptic!

Legs are made with sea urchins spines, claws are carved and carapace is real (Galene sp. maybe). I prefer the thai/viet fake crabs, much more realistic!

• I found this Informative 2

I didn't look at the ad, I hope they are at least asking for enough to make all this constructive artistry effort worth it.  :wacko:

I imagine some people want fossils from more exotic locations which in turn creates a market for creating such things.

Dorensigbadges.JPG