Clayton formation from Arkansas - Shark Fauna?

kate_rose

Hi folks,

On our last cross country trip we stopped at a fossil site I had heard of to look for fossils.  It is near Malvern, Arkansas and I am sure it is Clayton formation (Paleocene) based on a publication which specifically describes the site.  It was a horrible day for collecting so we grabbed some samples and are now slowly taking the matrix apart at home.  We are finding a lot of tiny stuff and a few sharks teeth which may be identifiable.  Does anyone know what the shark fauna looks like from that site.  I haven't found any good references for the Clayton specifically and the publication I do have is a faunal survey which compares rough numbers in different groups and deals very little with the specific species themselves.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Kate

@kate_rose

I found a PDF that mentions Brachycarcharias  and Rhinoptera being found there.

Images of Brachycarcharias can be found here

Hope this helps. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I think, in addition to Brachycarcharias, you could have Carcharias sp., and possibly Mennerotodus sp. -- George

We have the Clayton also.  It was probably much shallower with a river discharge taking place.  We find two species.  The sand tiger, and rarely crow shark. 

I have the largest collection of Missouri Cretaceous shark teeth in the world.I think I am up to 16.

Brent Ashcraft

• I found this Informative 1

ashcraft, brent allen