Westmoreland State Park (WSP) Trip

Barnaby'sdad

I got to make my first trip to Westmoreland State Park (WSP) today.  I hit the beach around 1330 today (low tide was ~1430).  As expected...it being a Saturday... the place was packed. Most of the traffic was on the first 1/3 of the beach, so I opted to walk about halfway down the beach and setup shop. 

I can't say that I had lofty expectations, as this was only my second fossil hunting trip. I was surprised to find my first tooth within about 10 minutes.  I had multiple sifting sorts (or whatever you want to call it) that had 2+ teeth in them.  One had three teeth.:Luck: 

It was interesting to see how the teeth were clumped in a spot. I'd find 5+ teeth in a 4' radius in x < 5 minutes and then not find any for 15+ minutes while hitting an area a few times that size.  For only two hours work...I was happy with the results.  

The bottom row includes some junk, to include a couple that I'm guessing are not teeth.  Please disregard the amateur hour sorting.

HhUbRnB.jpg

The largest one of the bunch.

ldkxow2.jpg

As far as condition...this little guy is the best one of the lot.

oYAI0ul.jpg

The badly broken one here...is this a Mako?

r7Ogxaa.jpg

You can't really make it out, but the serrations on this one look really nice.

RYxSfFb.jpg

Edited by Barnaby'sdad
  • I found this Informative 2

Nice finds! :)

Not a bad haul at all, thanks for sharing. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Good trip!  Nice haul! My nephew wanted to head up to Westmoreland (his friends said no, too zooy on summer weekends); like the beaches here, winter after storms are best.  But still, you can find great stuff even when the beaches are busy if persistent and lucky!

• 3 weeks later...

Yup. If I was going to go back again, it would either be off season or on a weekday. 

While small...there had got to be a LOT of teeth there, considering how many people were finding...given the amount of people present.