Unidentified Fossilized Bone from Bolivar Peninsula, TX

Ramon

Yesterday I took a short trip to Crystal Beach, Bolivar Peninsula, TX. I found plenty of tumbled fossilized bone fragments, but this one caught my eye. I have no idea as to what it could be from, but if I had to guess it might be some bone from a fish. Maybe one of the many knowledgeable forum members can help me out. It is very thin, no more than 3 mm, and about 2 cm in length. It probably comes from an offshore deposits of the late Pleistocene, Beaumont Formation, which has been known to produce mammal remains and shark teeth. 

D12EF770-7C18-4B85-BAB5-E0BB6576B802.thumb.jpeg.56107eac9611aaf5d1c3ca4a17534c68.jpeg

2BA33799-D6DE-495C-9DB9-2762815DE56E.thumb.jpeg.8aa91b01702daed295985e5eda661561.jpeg

DFCE6A87-969F-431E-89AD-3B9465988FFE.thumb.jpeg.af862741f0f718d368288475bf76534c.jpeg

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

fish skull element.  When I get home let me paw through my references. 

• I found this Informative 2

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

I would appear to be a fish preoperculum, a bone located in the gill region. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of identified material to compare to, so I can't identify what kind of fish.  

I"ve attached a drawing of a fish skull, courtesy of wikipedia. The red bone in the drawing is the preoperculum.

I've also attached two identified examples, courtesy of the Smithsonian's The Geology and Paleontology of Lee Creek, Vol. III. The one with the white background is from an Astroscopus sp. (stargazer), and the second from a Prionotus sp. (sea robin)

Astrocopus sp preoperculum.png

Prionotus operculum.png

fish head.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

6 hours ago, hemipristis said:

I would appear to be a fish preoperculum, a bone located in the gill region. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of identified material to compare to, so I can't identify what kind of fish.  

I"ve attached a drawing of a fish skull, courtesy of wikipedia. The red bone in the drawing is the preoperculum.

I've also attached two identified examples, courtesy of the Smithsonian's The Geology and Paleontology of Lee Creek, Vol. III. The one with the white background is from an Astroscopus sp. (stargazer), and the second from a Prionotus sp. (sea robin)

Astrocopus sp preoperculum.png

Prionotus operculum.png

fish head.jpg

Thank you so much for the information!!

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier