Texas Pleistocnene Bones

Uncle Siphuncle

OK kids, let's get our collective thoughts together on some bones I recently found. I'd like to get my ID's straight before I post my upcoming reports. All specimens in the group shot were taken from the same bank, one that has given up a mammoth tusk and lots of horse, turtle, and camel material. For the length of the rib it appears pretty robust. What critter may have had this thing?

In the same group shot is a perissodactyl phalanx. This is the smallest one I've ever found. Is it just a small horse or could it be tapir or some other critter?

Then there's the astragulus - camel or bison? I could use a refresher on diagnostic differences using my specimen as an example. Solidly mineralized.

Finally, my son Weston found what appears to be a distal humerus of some sort. Any ideas what animal this came from? Not well mineralized, but looks kinda old. Your opinions are appreciated.

post-22-12556557354756_thumb.jpg

post-22-12556557521289_thumb.jpg

post-22-12556557654822_thumb.jpg

post-22-12556557788086_thumb.jpg

post-22-12556558064288_thumb.jpg

post-22-1255655838597_thumb.jpg

post-22-12556558526107_thumb.jpg

post-22-12556558654274_thumb.jpg

post-22-12556558816945_thumb.jpg

Edited by danwoehr

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

the astragalus doesn't look bisony to me (everyone screams and falls over). i don't even see the rib you referenced. the humerus isn't funny, and it's missing all the condyles, which is scary, because somebody will prolly scream that it's from an unknown specie and want to name it a whorless woehri westonensis.

with my batting average lately needing to get off the schneid, i'm quitting. call your stuff anything you want. i'll back you on it. tell them, "well, tracer said, and you know he was perissodacytlin' long before it was fashionable, or even leagle".

One more...

I think this small phalanx IS tapir, Dan. In the first image, I think the toe bone is a horse phalanx and the astragalus is from a camel.

The distal bone frag has me puzzled. I thought at first it might be a camel phalanx, but it would be an extraordinarily long toe. The Texas Gulf Coast does have some artiodactyls that we don't see in Florida. I just don't recognize it.

post-42-12556590008512_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I don't know what kind of bones they are, but I like 'em. Congratulations on your finds and what looks like a great time.

Tracer, sorry if you weren't tryin' to be funny, but u r hilarious.

Thanks guys. Your input will make my reports that much better. I found a few other easily identifiable goodies that will make the September report pretty good, like half a mastodon tooth and a tapir jaw, good stuff for Texas.

Grüße,

Oh and in the group shot, the bone on the far right looks to me like a very stout rib. It starts getting wider at the bottom of the rib where it is broken off. Just looks pretty robust to me for its length.

Grüße,

I don't know what kind of bones they are, but I like 'em. Congratulations on your finds and what looks like a great time.

Tracer, sorry if you weren't tryin' to be funny, but u r hilarious.

fd - i'm never trying to be funny. sometimes new members seem to think i'm funny for a brief period, and then i think it turns more into annoyance, kinda like i'm robin williams, only without the money, or the fame, or the intellect, or some of the frenzy. p.s. - robin, if you're reading this, it's humoristic license, ok? plus i wasn't talking about you anyway - it was a different robin williams, who used to live in poughkeepsie. no idea where he is now. but he wasn't very funny. and dan, one thing missing from your pile above is a funny bone. but at least it's friday.

oh, yeah, ok, i'm feeling the id's now... agree, agree, maybe, no way.

you know, i posted a weird rib with an end flare the other week and got nary a single response, as i recall. nary, i aver! i felt at the time that it was vigorously mean-spirited and discriminatory, and just about the time i'm getting over it and it was slipping from my ever-present consciousness (or RAM, since i'm a bot), you gotta come along and post a short, weird rib with an end flare, taunting me and haunting me, since it's easing up on halloween, our favorite time of year due to the fixation on bones.

well, i will tell you this. before i posted that rib, i looked at every googled rib i could find trying to figure out what sort of creature it inhabited. i looked at turtles, floating ribs on various critters, everything. so anyway, my guess is this. the rib you found, and the rib i found, came from the sole specimen of a two-ribbed chupacadabra, which then vanished. and that's the storel of that morey.

oh, yeah, ok, i'm feeling the id's now... agree, agree, maybe, no way.

you know, i posted a weird rib with an end flare the other week and got nary a single response, as i recall. nary, i aver! i felt at the time that it was vigorously mean-spirited and discriminatory, and just about the time i'm getting over it and it was slipping from my ever-present consciousness (or RAM, since i'm a bot), you gotta come along and post a short, weird rib with an end flare, taunting me and haunting me, since it's easing up on halloween, our favorite time of year due to the fixation on bones.

well, i will tell you this. before i posted that rib, i looked at every googled rib i could find trying to figure out what sort of creature it inhabited. i looked at turtles, floating ribs on various critters, everything. so anyway, my guess is this. the rib you found, and the rib i found, came from the sole specimen of a two-ribbed chupacadabra, which then vanished. and that's the storel of that morey.

....vanished without a "Trace".....(insert vigorous knee slapping here)

Grüße,

OK kids, let's get our collective thoughts together on some bones I recently found. I'd like to get my ID's straight before I post my upcoming reports. All specimens in the group shot were taken from the same bank, one that has given up a mammoth tusk and lots of horse, turtle, and camel material. For the length of the rib it appears pretty robust. What critter may have had this thing?

In the same group shot is a perissodactyl phalanx. This is the smallest one I've ever found. Is it just a small horse or could it be tapir or some other critter?

Then there's the astragulus - camel or bison? I could use a refresher on diagnostic differences using my specimen as an example. Solidly mineralized.

Finally, my son Weston found what appears to be a distal humerus of some sort. Any ideas what animal this came from? Not well mineralized, but looks kinda old. Your opinions are appreciated.

All of that goes over my head. I was wondering what the last bone in the first post you have pictured is, I have found a bone of that same type down on the beach of South Padre Island.

Edited by Lindsey