Question about worm fossils

Kcee

I have read that land worm fossil are extremely rare but how about marine worm fossils? Are marine worm fossils as rare as land worms and has anyone every seen photos or heard of a marine worm that might have a calcium-like outer shell??

Thanks

Yes, the tubes are common. Have a look at serpulids.

Soft preservation of other marine worms is very rare of course but does occur.

Tarquin

Marine tube worm fossils are quite common. They appear very often as epibionts on mollusc shells and range well back in the geological record.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

You're question on this topic had impeccable timing. It's not the greatest pic, but here is a marine worm I found last weekend in the Ordovician Lindsay formation of Ontario. Lechthaylus curiosus. I'm going by memory on scale, but somewhere between 60-75mm long. Only the 2nd example I've seen in all my time collecting.

Lechthaylus worm.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Many species of worms preserved very nicely in the Mazon Creek fauna.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Wow, thanks for all the great answers. You all has just given me a lot of research and reading to do. I've come across some sort of marine worm-like specimen, I am not sure what it is but as soon as I figure out the file resize thing I'll share it with you all. 

9 hours ago, Kcee said:

as soon as I figure out the file resize thing I'll share it with you all. 

Try emailing the pictures to Yourself.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Well, I tried emailing the photos to myself but they did not down size at all but thanks for the info. Found a site that lets you resize your photos but you have to add a watermark to the photo so I'll see if this works. After down sizing I can only get 2 photos at a time to upload. The worm-like structures are the calcium structures on the top front of what is shown. This was dug out of a piece of sandstone that was littered with bivalve and gastropod fossils. I think it's something worm-like hitching a ride on top of a snail.

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

Wow, this time I was able to get three photos uploaded. I have shown these to a paleontologist and was told that they might be some sort of serpulids but he was not sure. I can not find any photos of anything that looks like these things. My eyes say "worms", my brain says "good luck".

image_3.jpg

image_4.jpg

image_5.jpg

I agree with Tarquin that those are serpulid tube worms, and like him, I couldn’t name the species without guessing. It certainly would narrow down the possibilities if you could name the stratigraphical position of that sandstone.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I can’t be much help on identifying if they are tube worms or not, but I might be able to help with the file resizing issues you were having. Here are a couple of links to posts about the topic that may help.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/46862-cloud-based-solutions-for-reducing-image-file-sizes/

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/37180-quick-way-to-resize-photos-using-paint-steps-shown-with-photos/

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

-Thanks for the replies and info. I've searched the web like crazy and just can't find anything that is similar to these and the scientist I've contacted can only guess, keep telling myself there has to be someone out there who knows.

-The sandstone boulders they were found in was laying out in the open, no digging required. Was told by a local geologist that the strata in and around that location isn't known for producing any fossils at all. I kind of thought they looked out of place there.

If I want to show these in the Fossil ID section, do I have to delete the photos or post from this section??

8 hours ago, Kcee said:

If I want to show these in the Fossil ID section, do I have to delete the photos or post from this section??

Either repost the photos in a new topic in the ID section, or put a link there to this thread but please do not delete any photos as it would make this entire thread useless.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else