Partial jaw bone and teeth

diginupbones

These big teeth are always a mystery to me. I don’t know how to tell the difference between bison camel and horse. Thanks for looking 

3B0D3DC5-599F-42D0-B72D-2A2C05AD4BC1.jpeg.f242d18d5a75304d08de7e248a9d9bb4.jpeg

DFCEEFD3-A63D-41FA-A549-3313C84A707A.jpeg.559939acb0dc0e8adbb396984ea28e48.jpeg7094AC28-FD28-4B23-A3E0-163304A65C4B.jpeg.3076320a79cc9325af462251d517bd69.jpeg 

Nice! Thanks for the quick replies.  Sorry if this is a stupid question but is there anyway to tell the age of these? I know horses have been around for millions of years but I didn’t know if there was a way to narrow it down. Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting specimen. It's a horse upper jaw fragment. Genus is likely Pliohippus (short crowns,very curved tooth ,round protocone  joined to the protoloph in early where.) More info possible if you had locality source.

• I found this Informative 2

This was found in the Sand Hills region of Nebraska. The fossils you find in that area are buried under many many feet of sand so you’re kind of at the mercy of rivers, washouts  or what they called blowouts. 

I regret to say, while I've heard of the Sand Hills and I am almost certain that I have driven in the area I don't quite remember where they are. I can't find the area on my map either,sorry. Would you please provide  a city or in which county the Sand Hills are near.Thanks

The fossils from the Sand Hills area rang in age from Oligocene to Pliocene so still a very wide range of possibilities. If my id of the teeth is correct they are most likely Clarendonian (middle Miocene) in age.  More specific  locality data might provide the name of the formation the teeth are from.

I cleaned them up a little bit and took a better photo. They are from the valentine area near the Niobrara River.  Thanks for your info! 

085199E5-B12B-416A-A893-99DEE18909DB.jpeg.668b5884ceb885756fb8c19bebafdef5.jpeg

Boy that is a lot better. I am much more confident in my identification now. In the first tooth on the left, an M1,had the protocone  attached to the hypocone (the protocone is actually broken off) and is one of the diagnostic feature of the genus Pliohippus. The little loop under the prefossette  and postfossette  indicates that the  post protoconal valley was closed when the tip of the protocone joined the hypocone  usually only found in Pliohippus in the equini tribe of horses but it is also found in Pseudhipparion, tribe hipparini. Protohippus which is about the same size as Pliohippus  and found in this area dose not have the connected protocone. The fossil jaw could be from the Burge  member of the Vanetine formation  and is common  in this area during the early Clarendonian. I hope this helps you some

• I found this Informative 4

That is very helpful! Thank you for taking the time to look at this, I really appreciate it