While on a fishing hike

Joe Salande

Greetings Folks!

While walking on rock Jetties on the Alabama Coast, I looked down and saw some Crinoids. So, of course, I quit fishing and started looking at rocks.

I came across many Crinoid fossils (and impressions) and what appears to be some fan/coral looking fossils.

These are large boulders lining an inlet and I"m confident that they are not from South Alabama seashore.

Possibly if I could figure out where the boulders came from, It would help me figure out where/date of the fossils.

So the question is:

Where do you guys think these boulders came from? There large 3 to 5 foot boulders. They appear to be granite, but I'm no geologist.

And now, for some reason , This site won't let me down load some pictures, only this one, so that's not helpful.

Otherwise, any thoughts from you guys would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Joe

5d1027142adae_IMG_9532(1).thumb.jpg.db89390f4f8766aa31ff0f5112f8a70b.jpg

3 minutes ago, Joe Salande said:

This site won't let me down load some pictures,

Add more pictures in a reply. You may need to refresh the page.

The picture provided shows some bryozoan.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks Ynot!

Im having trouble with the site, for some reason, but I typed in Bryozoan and I think thats about right.

Do you think the above picture is Bryozoan Also? I thought It may be a large bunch of Crinoids, But I am crazy new to this.

Thanks

Joe

Thanks guys.

Also, any thoughts on the following question.

"

These are large boulders lining an inlet and I"m confident that they are not from South Alabama seashore.

Possibly if I could figure out where the boulders came from, It would help me figure out where/date of the fossils.

So the question is:

Where do you guys think these boulders came from? There large 3 to 5 foot boulders. They appear to be granite, but I'm no geologist".

Thanks 

Joe

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 2:27 PM, Joe Salande said:

Thanks guys.

Also, any thoughts on the following question.

"

So the question is:

Where do you guys think these boulders came from? There large 3 to 5 foot boulders. They appear to be granite, but I'm no geologist".

Thanks 

Joe

They look like limestone, not granite. Granite never has fossils; it's an igneous rock (crystallized directly from cooling magma). Sedimentary rocks are the ones that usually have fossils.

They're probably from a quarry that's not too far away (within 100 miles), unless they were brought in by ship. I don't know Alabama geology, so I can't advise you on where they might be from. I have seen bryozoans like those in Paleozoic rocks. Similar forms probably occur throughout the fossil record, up to and including the present!

I'd look for a bedrock geology map of the area, and see what formations are nearby. It might also be possible to find someone who has a record of when the jetty was built, and what quarry the rocks were purchased from.

Good luck! At a minimum, you can post your questions here and someone will likely have a answer. :D

• I found this Informative 1