triplefacepalm

I would like to try to prep a whale vertebra I found, but I have a few questions before diving into the preservation part. My questions come in 2 parts: Paraloid suggestions and matrix removal questions.

Paraloid:

For something this big, should I attempt to find a container and dunk the whole thing in the paraloid solution, or should I use a brush to go around the whole surface?

Any suggestions for the ratio of paraloid to acetone? 1:10? 1:20? I've read different ratios thrown around, but I'm not sure what is best for which situation.

Matrix removal:

There is a large section of material on the under side of the vertebra that I'm unsure about removing. This rectangular section seems to be much harder than the rest of easily removable soil. Even though it transitions from reddish to tan in color, it is all the same hardness. Should I even attempt to remove it, or just leave it? It's clearly not part of the original vertebra, but I'm not sure what it even is.

Thanks a lot for any help and/or suggestions!

Fossil ID post with additional pictures:

IMG_20190624_211203126.jpg

IMG_20190624_211128707.jpg

The matrix looks relatively unobtrusive. You should be able to remove it. I would go after it with a small hammer and chisel, or a nail/drywall screw if you don't have more advanced tools. As for preservation, if the piece is stable as it is, there's no need to treat it with Paraloid. If it is unstable and in danger of falling apart, the soak method is best if you have the ability. I like a 1:50 ratio personally. I find it penetrates the best with the least amount of plastic piling up on the surface.

• I found this Informative 2

The little shark tooth attached to that little matrix block is kinda cool

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

The matrix looks relatively unobtrusive. You should be able to remove it. I would go after it with a small hammer and chisel, or a nail/drywall screw if you don't have more advanced tools. As for preservation, if the piece is stable as it is, there's no need to treat it with Paraloid. If it is unstable and in danger of falling apart, the soak method is best if you have the ability. I like a 1:50 ratio personally. I find it penetrates the best with the least amount of plastic piling up on the surface.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it! I'll try out a nail and see what I can do. Unfortunately, it has been crumbling away at the edges when touched, so that was my main reason for the Paraloid.

4 hours ago, -AnThOnY- said:

The little shark tooth attached to that little matrix block is kinda cool

And that was my second reason for wanting to use a preservative. The rest of the matrix might go away, but that little bugger stays!