What is this?

jnicholes

Hello,

I am new to this forum, I just joined today. I am beginning to get an interest in fossils ever since I found one that was in a rock in my backyard.

I need some help figuring out what this is. Here are the details. Two years ago, I found a small piece of sedimentary rock by my house, and this rock had petrified wood in it. A friend of mine who was a fossil enthusiast, (and unfortunately passed away last year,) told me that the rock likely was brought in from Bruneau, Idaho, which is near where I live. There are similar rocks there.

About a week ago, I was working on getting the petrified wood I saw out of it. I was VERY careful, keep that in mind. The rock split on accident, none of the petrified wood was damaged, but inside where it split was what looked like a shell fossil. I was able to get it out intact, a picture is attached.

It is about 2 cm in diameter.

My Penpal wants me to figure out what kind of shell fossil it is. Can someone help me identify this? 

If you need more information, I will get it.

Jared

Fossil.jpg

1st, Welcome to TFF.  It is a great place for fossil enthusiasts..

On photos, a couple of recommendations

1) Take photos outside in bright sunlight or under a bright lightbulb inside, and

2) The fossil should take up 80% of the photo...

Having said that your fossil shell is a gastropod.

Here is a TFF thread where I was trying to get a (much larger) gastropod identified.

I never was successful, Hopefully you will be.  You might do  a google search of "fossil gastropod Idaho"  to see some options of what this might be.. 

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Hi,

First, Thanks for the recommendation. I will do that next time I post a picture.

Second, Thanks for helping me identify it. I really appreciate it!

Jared

I agree, gastropod shell.

Cropped and brightened:

Fossil.jpg.eb360b0de574a082aedb8c14f116ea86.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi,

I take it thats what the picture should look like, right? Ill make my future pictures like that from now on.

In the same rock that I found this shell, I found some petrified wood, another Gastropod shell, and what look like tiny fossilized segments of a spinal chord. That rock had some interesting stuff in it!

Jared

This was found in the same rock. I am pretty sure its a segment of a spinal chord. I just wanted to show it. Its the same piece in each photo, by the way, its just rotated.

Jared

Spine1.jpg

Spine2.jpg

It’s a vertebrae but I’m not sure from what. I’m sure the experts will be on soon with info!

I actually just took a look at a fish fossil I had. I was going through my collection. I compared the spine on the fish fossil to the vertebrae bone that I found. It looks very similar, so this could be part of the spine of a fish. It is possible, because my friend who was a fossil enthusiast said that there were fish bones inside the Rock. He told me that about a year before he passed away.

I'm not 100% sure though.

Jared