Giant Pleistocene bird from Crimea

Kasia

3 minutes ago, BLT said:

That sure was one huge bird! 

Indeed - now we know the ancestor of this one ;) image.png.8914fc3187cebe13311d641586d32012.png

• I found this Informative 2

Wow! Overlapping with the first hominid immigrants!
And they are just getting started on that cave system...

Thank you!

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

450kg? Wow! Wouldn't want that thing perching on your shoulder!

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

Very interesting! The only thing I missed is that the article makes no mention of or comparisons to the South American “Terror Birds”.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

56 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Very interesting! The only thing I missed is that the article makes no mention of or comparisons to the South American “Terror Birds”.

Hi Roger,

It does mention Titanis walleri once, which was the one species of "terror bird" to invade North America from the south during the Late Pliocene.  That Crimean bird was apparently three times the size of that.  Wow. 

I can tell you that Titanis remains are quite rare in the U.S. and known only along the Gulf Coast (Texas, Florida).  Some Florida collectors prize a toe bone of that above even Smilodon because of the rarity.  There's a toe bone on display at the Florida Museum of Natural History.

Jess

• I found this Informative 2

On 29.6.2019 at 5:13 AM, siteseer said:

Hi Roger,

It does mention Titanis walleri once, which was the one species of "terror bird" to invade North America from the south during the Late Pliocene.  That Crimean bird was apparently three times the size of that.  Wow. 

I can tell you that Titanis remains are quite rare in the U.S. and known only along the Gulf Coast (Texas, Florida).  Some Florida collectors prize a toe bone of that above even Smilodon because of the rarity.  There's a toe bone on display at the Florida Museum of Natural History.

Jess

Yes, I did notice the mention of T.walleri, and thanks for the extra info about it, but I did mean the South American ones, some of which reached considerable size, although I don't think that any outdid that Crimean one.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/