A big crab leg and???

Kcee

I'm sure that the one long fossil is part of a crab leg but I can't seem to find anything on the web like it, all of the crab fossils I find appear to be your typical size crab such as the blue crab. This look like it would come from a very large crab. Came across what looked like other leg parts that appeared to be at least 6-8 inches.

That second smaller piece, I don't have a clue. There's not much there to go on, just hoping that maybe someone will recognize the pattern on it and know what it belongs to.

These were dug out of sandstone in which the bivalves and gastropods have been dated to about 2.5 million years old.

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_3.jpg

image_4.jpg

image_5.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The rounder one looks like some sort of oyster. 

The longer piece the edge of a bivalve, I think. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Hi There,

I agree ... pretty sure you just described what they were in your initial comments.  It came from a formation known for bivalves .. looks like 2 bivalves.  The longer being something akin to a razor clam ? I'm not a clam guy ... but those look the part.  Down to the shell texture in the smaller piece. 

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 2

8 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Hi There,

I agree ... pretty sure you just described what they were in your initial comments.  It came from a formation known for bivalves .. looks like 2 bivalves.  The longer being something akin to a razor clam ? I'm not a clam guy ... but those look the part.  Down to the shell texture in the smaller piece. 

Cheers,

Brett

concur w/razor clam.  Check out the genus Ensis.

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Second photo. How is what appears to be a nearly right angle in a single body being explained ? Seems very unclamish to me.

13 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Second photo. How is what appears to be a nearly right angle in a single body being explained ? Seems very unclamish to me.

Without seeing pictures of all sides, I would say it could be attributed to breakage. :shrug:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

12 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Without seeing pictures of all sides, I would say it could be attributed to breakage. :shrug:

That thin inner rim at the top doesn't look broken to me.

@Rockwood

Dale, 

Do you mean this? 

image_3.jpg-vert.jpg

This definitely looks like delaminated/broken shell material. 

The piece is pretty beat up, and water worn. 

There are examples of clam/bivalve shells that exhibit 90° angles... 

617tRbppWeL._SX425_.jpg   1054donaxa_1031_detail.jpg

With wear and tear, I can easily imagine the angle being formed naturally. 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

-Clams...hmmmm, I'll take any answer I can get but I don't see clams here....

-In the photos below take notice of the radius on the R/H side in the second photo, that was longer but I cut if off where the shell ended. This piece may have looked a bit like what you see in photo #5.  The backside is no help, it's just flat stone from where it was cut out of the sandstone.

-I came across several of the shapes that you see in the last 2 photos, some were covered in white or brown shells and some were well over 8 inches in length, the stone was just too hard to try and remove something of that size.

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_3.jpg

image_4.jpg

image_5.jpg

image_1.jpg

I have examples of both type of clam in a mobile hanging in my solar room. As was the case yesterday, the sun isn't up yet to photograph them though. :shakehead:

Wow, that elongated clam is something that I have never seen so I can see what you are referring to now. I can see clams now......thanks Rockwood, nice specimen.

3 hours ago, Kcee said:

Wow, that elongated clam is something that I have never seen so I can see what you are referring to now. I can see clams now......thanks Rockwood, nice specimen.

Razor clams. Named so because they resemble a 19th century shaving straight razor.

81sWlbEXa1L._SX355_.jpg

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Razor clams....thanks for the name Mark. I can't seem to find any photos of their fossils on the web anywhere, can only find photos of recent day razor clams. Anyone have a link or any photos of razor clam fossils?

33 minutes ago, Kcee said:

Razor clams....thanks for the name Mark. I can't seem to find any photos of their fossils on the web anywhere, can only find photos of recent day razor clams. Anyone have a link or any photos of razor clam fossils?

There's two or three shown when you Google "fossil razor clam". But you're right, other than that not much info.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Most of them (modern and fossil) are from the genus Ensis (as mentioned previously) or Solon. Look at those for your area or age of rock and you should find something. 

Nice specimen Randyw, any ideal what period those are from? I came across a couple of photos of those but even they appear to be somewhat rare, not many at all on display so hang on to those.

I don't feel like a dummy for calling the ones I found crab legs but after seeing how rare they are I do feel like a fat dummy for tossing so many of them and some even had colored shells, which I have found is also rare for a shell that is over 2.5 millions year old. Man, do I feel like a Forest Gump!!!

Sorry I should have added to my post that those are images I found on the web. I was posting some images for comparison 

These are the closest thing to them in my collection . The one is a small one. I’m not sure about the other. I got them with some other fossils and haven’t gotten around to positively identifying the second one although from the glance I gave it I believe it may be one too

4F3F3A80-0C9D-4D66-B4DC-8A30DC5B70DE.jpeg

Here are two razor clams from my collection for comparison. Both are Miocene, but from different locationsD5763F96-7B67-4726-8A90-38CE4385C8EF.thumb.jpeg.7ffe3b97d64bf6eac5059623d921bd12.jpeg3A53E5B6-A854-4F5C-8004-7ADF348829AE.thumb.jpeg.dcc80333c94ff1a5287f12b7c7cc59d4.jpeg.  These are fairly fragile so not always easy to find complete. 

After seeing the ones that Randyw and ClearLake posted, I'm sure now that what I have here is razor clams. I came across several of these things but did not have a clue as to what they were. It would appear that their fossils are somewhat a rare find. It sorta sucks to find out what you have after you have thrown most of them away.....yikes.