Are any of these Mazon Creek Fossils?

DisorderedK

Hi everyone,

After the thunderstorm yesterday, me and some friends drove up to the Ponderosa area of Mazon creek park to look for fossils. It was our first time, and we didn't know the specifics of what to look for, but we spent three hours walking the whole perimeter of the lake, braving the aggressive swarms of biting insects.

Can anyone here tell me if any of the rocks we found are the right ones to possibly contain fossils? Attached is a picture of all the rocks, and an album with closeup pictures.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XoCZQJwgWU7dbcoS7

Thanks a lot!!!

20190701_113636 (2).jpg

It appears that MOST of them are. Whether or not they contain fossils is another story. It looks that many of them have already been split open, either by other people or the weather. I'll look at the album photos and get back to you.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I looked at the album and yes most of them are the right stuff. The ones like the black and gray ones on the left in the fifth photo are not. Many of the ones that are have already been split and you have only one of the halves. Some of them look like they have fossils, but are badly weathered. Warm soapy water and a stiff brush may help to clean them up a bit, but because of the amount of weathering I doubt any will look as good as Mazon Creek specimens can. The ones that are still a whole concretion can be opened using the freeze/thaw method. This means soaking them in water for about two weeks (recommended for the area you found them in) and then alternately freezing and thawing them in water until they develop a crack around the edge and split open when tapped against each other or tapped lightly with a small hammer. These may yield some nice fossils or they may be duds like some of the halves in your photos. Not all Mazon Creek concretions contain fossils, as I'm sure you know by now, and the area where you collected these varies from 10% to 50%-ish depending on specific location. Even though it's a lower percentage area it is more likely to yield fauna than places further north.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Thanks, that's a relief! I was a bit worried that I got dozens of bug bites and didn't even have the right type of rock! 

2 minutes ago, DisorderedK said:

Thanks, that's a relief! I was a bit worried that I got dozens of bug bites and didn't even have the right type of rock! 

Only dozens? You got off easy! I'm looking at your album photos enlarged and you have some that look quite promising. 

Mark.

2 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Only dozens? You got off easy!

LOL- give him time for the ticks to come out of hiding from his scalp.

2 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Only dozens? You got off easy! 

It helps to have friends in shorts and tshirts to serve as more attractive bait for the bugs lol.

35 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

LOL- give him time for the ticks to come out of hiding from his scalp.

Aww, nuts! You told him. I wanted it to be a surprise! :default_rofl:

Mark.

3 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I'm looking at your album photos enlarged and you have some that look quite promising. 

If you want me to take better pictures of any, let me know. 

3 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Even though it's a lower percentage area it is more likely to yield fauna than places further north.

For future reference, where could I find flora specimens? Is it nearby?

17 hours ago, DisorderedK said:

If you want me to take better pictures of any, let me know. 

For future reference, where could I find flora specimens? Is it nearby?

No need for the extra effort of taking more photos on your part. The ones that are only half of a concretion should be obvious. The others can be freeze/thawed. The ones that don't look rusty are not concretions. 

You'll find flora everywhere. Some areas have higher concentrations of flora or fauna, and you'll get to know those as you become more familiar with the area, but you'll have no trouble finding flora.

Mark.