ID help- Cretaceous shark teeth from Texas

fossilsonwheels

I saw this little lot of small teeth and instead of guessing I decided to seek some help on the ID. I do not have a lot of information. They are from the Dallas area, near the airport. The original collector believed it was Woodbine formation. most of the pictures were similar angles as well. My knowledge on Texas sharks is fairly limited. I do think the larger one is Scapanorhynchus. Outside of that, I really have no clue. Any help would be much appreciated.

texasmicro.jpg

texasmicro1.jpg

Doing some research and I am pretty sure (75%) that one of these is a Serratolamna and one is Odontaspis. I am leaning toward Paranomotodon on another.

Is the odd looking tooth a Scapanorhynchus symphyseal maybe?

So little is known about the Symphyseal teeth from here. I’ve had a devil of a time trying to find info on properly identifying them. As of right now I don’t think it’s possible to put a label on the symphyseal teeth. Ive found about 8 this past year and no luck getting anything close. 

I spoke to Roger Farish about it a few months back and he echoed the same. It’s possible to limit the field to a handful of sharks on the bigger symphyseal’s but it’s near impossible on the little teeth. 

This almost looks like Leptostyrax but it’s almost impossible to tell without photos from the backside. 

C51E3C76-D506-4DCD-A98F-1401433B872E.jpeg

The one I circled is Abdounia, an Eocene species. Probably not from Texas.

0AA1CC43-3375-42AC-BD74-49EFD16795F0.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

I agree with Eric on the Abdounia tooth.  All of these teeth look like Eocene species to me.  These teeth are identical to those that I see come from the Nanjemoy Formation in Virginia and that is where I think they are from.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

9 hours ago, Al Dente said:

The one I circled is Abdounia, an Eocene species. Probably not from Texas.

0AA1CC43-3375-42AC-BD74-49EFD16795F0.jpeg

Interesting. Perhaps mislabeled by the seller.

27 minutes ago, MarcoSr said:

I agree with Eric on the Abdounia tooth.  All of these teeth look like Eocene species to me.  These teeth are identical to those that I see come from the Nanjemoy Formation in Virginia and that is where I think they are from.

Marco Sr.

The seller does have lots of Miocene teeth from Virginia so this may be just a mislabeled bunch. I am glad I posted this one. Thank you very much

5 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Nice stuff and they do look exactly like my Nanjemoy teeth

Yes they are nice teeth but not what I am looking for at the moment. Working strictly on Mesozoic teeth at the moment

7 minutes ago, fossilsonwheels said:

The seller does have lots of Miocene teeth from Virginia so this may be just a mislabeled bunch. I am glad I posted this one. Thank you very much

My guess is that these teeth are from George Wolf's collection.  His son is selling specimens from his father's collection on e-bay.  I sent George lots of matrix from the Nanjemoy Formation of Virginia years ago which these teeth probably came from.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

2 minutes ago, MarcoSr said:

My guess is that these teeth are from George Wolf's collection.  His son is selling specimens from his father's collection on e-bay.  I sent George lots of matrix from the Nanjemoy Formation of Virginia years ago which these teeth probably came from.

Marco Sr.

Correct.

I can send you some cretaceous teeth from Kansas, MD, Tx and NJ if you are interested.

11 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I can send you some cretaceous teeth from Kansas, MD, Tx and NJ if you are interested.

I would be VERY interested :)  I am currently working on expanding the Cretaceous area of our shark program so that would be incredibly helpful

PM me your address so I don't have to search for it.  Will get something out this week.