Milk River Ridge Reservoir

JustPlainPetrified

Hello all,

Early part of June this year I was able to get, for the first time, to a place I hadn't picked before. Nicknamed "Dino Beach" at the south end of Milk River Ridge Reservoir (MMR) a little south and east of the community of Raymond, Alberta. I was told the fossil bones would be black compared to those found at Dinosaur Provincial Park (DPP) and they weren't wrong. The water washes bones from the base of the wall and all we had to do was walk along and fine what was available. We made it there late afternoon so only had a few hours to pick around but it was fun and rewarding. A couple verts, a piece of rib and a larger piece of undetermined bone. We spent the next day picking pieces of dino bone fragments from a dry gully south of DPP and you can see the difference in color and preservation.

20190609_104849 resized.jpg

DSCN4482 resized.jpg

DSCN4484 resized.jpg

20190624_131014 resized.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Very cool.  Milk River is on my “Hope to get there this summer” list.   I usually hike around the Drumheller area - on my last hike last summer I packed out 35 pounds of surface collected Dino bones (nothing specific) but interesting none-the-less.  This one has scavenger gnaw marks  

A7A94F0A-D131-4C3A-9B2C-4309FB71719F.thumb.jpeg.e5a520554887906eaf7d98e3b8bac5ea.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

8 hours ago, Vacationgirl said:

Very cool.  Milk River is on my “Hope to get there this summer” list.   I usually hike around the Drumheller area - on my last hike last summer I packed out 35 pounds of surface collected Dino bones (nothing specific) but interesting none-the-less.  This one has scavenger gnaw marks  

That's way cool to have the gnaw marks. On this last trip in a coulee just south of DPP I had the … scared out of me when a bird left its nest in a crevasse near my ear. Had trouble focusing on the ground for a few minutes. I do like the hiking in those coulees and will make a habit going there just for the exercise and that 'lucky find'. Good hunting.

Nice little report - that looks like a nice place to collect :) 

I like the vertebral centrum you found!

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

46 minutes ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Nice little report - that looks like a nice place to collect :) 

I like the vertebral centrum you found!

-Christian

Thanks, it was just laying there on the beach! Will have to make another trip next year to see what else pops up.

• I found this Informative 1