Lesat

15623191495438417700964048235354.thumb.jpg.ec2a5b5b4098ad8cb9ed3d1da0334e0c.jpgI was fossicing at main beach and found a rock containing many fossils back and front, I beleive the main big shell is a brachiopod which I love however underneath it is a fossil of a flying creature similar to a dragonfly I have left a 20 cent piece next to the rock to establish a measurement If you need a ruler I will find one. I can also send more pics in natural light if needed. Id love to find out what this insect is cheers I just love what I have found!!! Any information would greatly apreciated cheers!!!!

15623191495438417700964048235354.jpg

1562319244083114958941737869574.jpg

What you have there is another brachiopod, dorsal valve interior, probably same genus/species as the other one.

G'day and welcome to the forum from up in Armidale. Westcoast is correct, both objects are brachiopods. The shape though is rather misleading and i can see why you would think insect. At the far right of the rock it looks like you have a bit of bryozoan as well. I have not collected that area, are there lots of these marine invertebrates to be found there? My guess is that these are probably Permian or Carboniferous in age. There are very similar deposits on the NSW south coast and in the hunter valley as well. 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Ok thankyou!!! So is it a brachiopd joined together but opened up and joined and a different shaped brachiopod, I am totally new to this so forgive my lack of knowledge!!!!

1 minute ago, Lesat said:

Ok thankyou!!! So is it a brachiopd joined together but opened up and joined and a different shaped brachiopod, I am totally new to this so forgive my lack of knowledge!!!!

It's hard to tell, the bottom one may be a type of spiriferid brachiopod (if the shape of the valve really is that wide and narrow, but it might also just look like that because it is incomplete) while the top one which is more rounded might be a productid, but i'll admit my brachiopod knowledge isn't the best. 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

Your replies are fantasic and informative!!! I have found quite a few around the Forster coast..a verterbrae of some kind , shells and coral like fossils. Id love to share them with this forum!!!

5 minutes ago, Lesat said:

Your replies are fantasic and informative!!! I have found quite a few around the Forster coast..a verterbrae of some kind , shells and coral like fossils. Id love to share them with this forum!!!

Happy to help! Have you collected anywhere else? The vertebra would surprise me, it's not the sort of area where fossil bones have been found. Got any more pics? You aren't too far from Mulbring Quarry, that's a great spot you should check out (ok maybe a couple hours drive away, but definitely worth it!)

• I found this Informative 1