Acetone test for paint on fossil

TeacherCollector

Hello all,

I started collecting fossils as a hobby a few years ago, trusting sources without question. I recently bought my first expensive fossil (Keichousaurus) online. I know they are often faked (or at least heavily restored) so I want to confirm that mine is legitimate. I did a scrape test which revealed more bone so that was good. However, I did an acetone test on a couple of the bones and the bones faded a little bit and the q tip I used picked up some dark grey/black. I also tried it on the matrix in three places which pulled up even more black on the q tip (more than the fossil had done). I was wondering if this is normal or not. Can you please help me determine if my Kiechousaurus is genuine? The picture shows one arm untouched (the top of the picture) which you can see is a bit darker than the bottom arm which has been swiped with acetone. Thanks for your help!

IMG_20190708_134534.jpg

This photo is the amount of material that came off an arm and leg.

Screenshot_20190708-183536.png

This is an acetone swipe testing the matrix before it dried up.Screenshot_20190708-183449.thumb.png.5929c6334136d67ce38ba607a5d9f3e7.png

Quite a bit of paint on that, from what I can see.  :unsure: 

Well lit pictures looking down directly on the entire fossil may be helpful. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

IMG_20190708_134534.jpg

Looking at this closer shows a lot of paint "enhancement" on the fossil itself.

I am not familiar with the shales these guys are in and how reactive they might be to getting wet, but perhaps your acetone is slightly dissolving the particle bond that makes the stone. 

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

A lot of the spinal column and ribs, especially above the arms, looks completely painted. If you can, I would return it.

Not so sure on this one.

On the first view looks real with some very poor prep job (using of heavy abrasive tool like grinder).

On the second view there are indeed some red flags (colouring, weird cracks,...).

@Crazyhen can tell more...

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you, everyone for your replies. I'm uploading more pictures now to this thread. 

IMG_20190709_105152.jpg

Here is what I do with all my fossils I buy now for business so I can guarantee both myself and customers don't get something they are not paying for, is dip the whole fossil normally teeth in acetone. I have never seen a fossil teeth or bone react badly to this as it only affects man made substances such as paint, glue, varnish, plastic ect. My advice to you is if you want to see how much of a real fossil you have do this.

However I would also encourage other members to put forth their opinions, as there is always the possibility that I have yet to encounter a fossil that reacts badly to acetone, where as some other collectors might have had a bad experience with this solution.

Thanks Matt

• I found this Informative 2

19 hours ago, TeacherCollector said:

,,,. However, I did an acetone test on a couple of the bones and the bones faded a little bit and the q tip I used picked up some dark grey/black. I also tried it on the matrix in three places which pulled up even more black on the q tip (more than the fossil had done). I was wondering if this is normal or not. Can you please help me determine if my Kiechousaurus is genuine? The picture shows one arm untouched (the top of the picture) which you can see is a bit darker than the bottom arm which has been swiped with acetone....

With some Keichousaurier slabs, the rock is very soft and becomes even softer in contact with water or acetone. The abrasion is quite normal - it doesn't worry me. Even a slight color change doesn't mean anything - it can be due to dissolved oils / organic components.
I even have a Keichousaurus, I get black fingers when I touch it (and it is guaranteed 100% real, I prepared it myself).

Your Keichousaurus is genuine, but very roughly prepared with a grinder.

Be careful: The white veins might not be quartz veins but glued areas. If you put it in an acetone bath, the whole stone might disintegrate. So at most wipe with acetone for only a short time, otherwise, you will have a pile of fragments afterward.

Thomas

• I found this Informative 2

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

12 hours ago, Pemphix said:

Not so sure on this one.

On the first view looks real with some very poor prep job (using of heavy abrasive tool like grinder).

On the second view there are indeed some red flags (colouring, weird cracks,...).

@Crazyhen can tell more...

I think this is a genuine specimen but poorly prepped with acid and mechanical grinding that many details have been lost.  There might be a bit of touch-up with paint too.  But as @oilshale said the slab may also give the black mark, especially for soft slabs, so even if you don't use acetone but use a wet cotton bud to wipe the fossil, it stained black.