We have been working primarily on our shark program material but we did add a few new dinosaur fossils. For the most part they are pretty small in size but add quite a bit to the education we do. These represent some iconic and scientifically important dinosaurs. In addition to these small fossils, we added a 6" Trike frill piece from HC, a smaller piece of a Horseshoe Canyon Ceratopsian frill, and a 2.5" Hadro vert from that formation. These are excellent touch fossils so I am happy !

The small fossils are.....

Dromaeosaurus sp. Judith River. I big thank you thank you to @Troodon for some ID help. This is a really nice tooth and I am really excited about this one. We can get into some fun science about the study of tooth wear in determining what dinosaurs ate.

JRtheropod.jpg

Jrtheropod1.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

We also added two small Jurassic fossils from iconic Morrison formation dinosaurs.

Stegosaur gular armor piece- I know a few TFF members got these as well. A small piece but a Stego fossils nonetheless. Stegosaurs are so well known and know we can show kids a small piece of one.

Theropod indet partial tooth- This is a nice partial with good serrations and it was not expensive at all. Win/Win. We needed a theropod from this formation and we got it. This actually gives us two dinosaurs that we can talk about. We can say we do not know if it is Allosaurus or Torvosaurus and talk a bit about both dinosaurs or we can go with Allosaurus. It is pretty cool to have even a partial Morrison theropod tooth.

IMG_0731.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

We also picked up a small Hardosaur tooth from Judith River. It gives us a different kind of Hadrosaur to talk about. For the moment, I think we will go with Probrachylophosaurus. It is called Super Duck I guess so it wins with a cool nickname lol

We also grabbed a nice little Troodontid indet tooth from Horseshoe Canyon. With any troodontid, the plan was to talk about brain to body mass ratio and the intelligence of these critters. Since Albertavenator is the described species, that is what we call this during the presentations. I am really happy we can talk about Troodontids and show kids the really cool teeth.

IMG_0735.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

15 minutes ago, Allosaurus said:

Beautiful specimens! I've never heard of Horseshoe Canyon before. Which state is that in? 

It is in Alberta Canada.

9 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

It is in Alberta Canada.

Is there ever public access to the site (like a pay to dig quarry)?

9 minutes ago, Allosaurus said:

I have no idea. I am sure there are people on here with far more knowledge about collecting in Canada and I believe there are some pretty strict laws regarding collecting in Alberta.

On 7/12/2019 at 8:58 AM, Allosaurus said:

There are areas known as crown land where you can collect but technically the fossils belong to the "crown" and cannot leave Canada. 

Horseshoe canyon for example is a provincial park and cannot be collected from, the Troodon tooth above would be illegal to own.

• I found this Informative 1

44 minutes ago, BadlandTraveller said:

There are areas known as crown land where you can collect but technically the fossils belong to the "crown" and cannot leave Canada. 

Horseshoe canyon for example is a provincial park and cannot be collected from, the Troodon tooth above would be illegal to own.

The Horseshoe Canyon fossils we have are 100% legal. They were purchased from a collection that got the disposition from the Government. I checked the legality before purchasing them.

9 hours ago, BadlandTraveller said:

Cannot leave, more specifically Alberta, without a disposition

On 7/13/2019 at 10:37 AM, Troodon said:

Your collection keeps growing and continues to broaden what you can discuss

Thank you Frank. We are doing it one fossil at a time and I am pretty happy with where we are at !!

7 hours ago, Troodon said:

Cannot leave, more specifically Alberta, without a disposition

I did not know that they can not leave Alberta without the disposition until very recently. Those are some really strict laws. I was apprehensive about getting our Horseshoe Canyon fossils even with the disposition at first. My son and I had to talk about it quite a bit. It actually help us with some legal stuff related to non profit applications plus the kids have enjoyed meeting Canadian dinosaurs.