Jump to content
SimpleCollector100

Saber Toothed skull, real?

Recommended Posts

SimpleCollector100

Mostly I'm just curious, I want to buy one one day but I dont know how to tell a fake form the real thing.. I thought it would look more like real bone but the main characteristics of real bone seem to be gone..

 

Restoration to lower jaw.

 

From reading another thread here, I get the sense the "fakes" are REALLY REALLY good. If so is there a place to get one that is this good and doesn't cost as much (and is sold as a fake/reproduction)?

 

Thank you

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caldigger
5 hours ago, SimpleCollector100 said:

the main characteristics of real bone seem to be gone..

?  Please explain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caterpillar

Test under UV light

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilNerd
5 hours ago, SimpleCollector100 said:

Mostly I'm just curious, I want to buy one one day but I dont know how to tell a fake form the real thing.. I thought it would look more like real bone but the main characteristics of real bone seem to be gone..

 

Restoration to lower jaw.

 

From reading another thread here, I get the sense the "fakes" are REALLY REALLY good. If so is there a place to get one that is this good and doesn't cost as much (and is sold as a fake/reproduction)?

 

Thank you

Im not a bone guy so I can’t say much regarding the bones and their characteristics (although the piece looks very cool to me, real or fake), but didn’t you already start another thread requesting replica purchasing recommendations? :headscratch:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caldigger

20190712_045614.png

For me, the distortion in this piece leans more toward real. Most of your "fakes" tend to copy perfect lines and create ideal pieces.

I recall seeing a seller on the "auction site" from Russia or Ukraine that makes 3-D printed copies of skulls if that interests you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane

The one way of being able to be more certain is to inquire about the provenance of the piece. If there is a verifiable chain from digger to preparator to seller, then claims of authenticity are on much more solid ground. As a potential buyer, you have the right to ask those questions of a seller.

 

EDIT: just as I posted, the wizard appeared from behind the curtain! Thanks @steelhead9. You did a fantastic job on this one, and at least we can be certain it's the real deal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilDAWG
1 hour ago, steelhead9 said:

It is real. I prepped it many years ago for a client. It is a paramachairodus. There is a moderate amount of distortion, but the mandible is original to the maxilla. Sabers are original with typical repair areas. Both rear, lower molars are restored as is the lower right canine.

You did a fantastic job on it. :wub:

 

Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SimpleCollector100
5 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Im not a bone guy so I can’t say much regarding the bones and their characteristics (although the piece looks very cool to me, real or fake), but didn’t you already start another thread requesting replica purchasing recommendations? :headscratch:

 

 

I did indeed, this one was mainly to check if this specific skull was real.

 

Though, I havent seen any saber tooth skulls that are replicas that achieve this level of realisms. The ones by bone clones are not close to looking like this but please let me know if I missed something.  I should probably post in my other thread asking about this specific look that I like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SimpleCollector100

Great, thanks for letting me know. I will have to research UV lighting now and why it helps :@

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caldigger
14 minutes ago, SimpleCollector100 said:

Great, thanks for letting me know. I will have to research UV lighting now and why it helps :@

A lot of glues and artificial reconstructive putty will be easily seen under UV light. Very distinctive color differences to the original bone and matrix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SimpleCollector100

Ah this technique is great to know. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mark Kmiecik
6 hours ago, SimpleCollector100 said:

Ah this technique is great to know. Thank you!

There's different frequency uv lights being sold. Some are better for detecting glues/plastics and such and others are better for viewing geological/mineral specimens that fluoresce. Both are fairly inexpensive and readily available online. Some of the ordinary rocks you find are spectacular when viewed under uv illumination. Check out some vids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×