Fossil ID Mammoth Molar Fragment

DumbLuck

I found and odd rock that from what I see online seems similar to a mammoth Molar perhaps. Or maybe I just want it to be lol. Either way would appreciate any help identifying it or just telling me I found a rock.

IMG_20190712_221847751.jpg

IMG_20190712_221732796.jpg

IMG_20190712_221816870.jpg

IMG_20190712_221807206.jpg

IMG_20190712_221756897.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Nope, not just a rock. You got yourself Mammoth molar tooth. Well done!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Thanks guys! I knew when I picked it up it was definitely unique just from the texture of the rock. 

Also if anyone has any tips on preserving this specimen I'd  love to know. I found it submerged in fresh water in the bottom of a silted creek. It seems fairly stable right now but I know it hasn't dried completely yet either.

Edited by DumbLuck

Use the search tool one this site for Mammoth tooth preservation and you will find several threads with preservation instructions.  I found my first partial mammoth tooth last month and know how exciting it is to pull that up out of the water!  good hunting!

Thank you! I'll look it up. Definitely excited to preserve it and make a little display case for it. I'm still kind of shocked I actually found this. The layers and textures on this are absolutely amazing.