Rare heliophyllum delicatum fossil

Paulie777

5d2fccd602f51_Photoon7-17-19at9_09PM.jpg.1148ba4d3e1b23a309445c41a5383c06.jpg

Rare Heliophyllum Delicatum. This is coral found only in the thin Moscow formation and only in Upstate New York. Mid Devonian and still in its living condition! 

• I found this Informative 2

Sorry your coral is not Heliophyllum delicatum or from the Moscow formation. Its a species of Syringopora (Goldfuss 1826) organ-pipe coral. I attached a pic of a Heliophyllum delicatum from the Moscow formation of NY. 

Mikeymig

DSC07187.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

No, you are mistaken. The specimen you have is a beautiful Heliophyllum confluens. Here is an example from the Yale museum. My coral is indeed heliophyllum delicatum from the Moscow formation in New York. 

IP006979_00118454-large.thumb.jpg.091c72032e4f8d83227bed423f27c589.jpg

Could you post a clearer photo of the specimen? At present, the long tubes present in your initial image does give the appearance of Syringopora.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Paulie, can you show a view from the top that shows the structure of the septa?  If they are a Heliophyllum they should have septa with yard-arm carinae.  I admit to be skeptical, as I have never seen Heliophyllum with such slender corallites; Mickey's suggestion seems reasonable to me.  However, I am willing to be educated on the matter.

Also, I edited your post to remove the snarky comment.  We can disagree and discuss here and be civil about it.

Don

Your specimen at the beginning of this post sure seems to match the thin tubular shape of a Syringopora organ-pipe coral. I'm not familiar with the fossil species but I have seen and collected the extant species from Indo-Pacific waters (it's a lovely red color). :)

EDIT: I was thinking of a similar (extant) coral genus called Tubipora musica (also called the Organ Pipe Coral) which is shaped very similar but different from the older Syringopora.

Cheers.

-Ken

I’m seeing no resemblance to H. delicatum here... :headscratch:

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thank you for posting better pics. Your coral is a colonial rugose coral Acinophyllum stramineum, from the Onondaga Limestone. Its not from the Moscow formation. It was transported to the site you discovered it by ice or water. 

bloom-fig1.3.jpg

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

3 hours ago, Kane said:

Could you post a clearer photo of the specimen? At present, the long tubes present in your initial image does give the appearance of Syringopora.

Or even Lithostrotion. Looks nothing like H. delicatum. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I agree with Mickey.  I have collected this species from the Onondaga in Ontario.  The new photos are much better (thanks!) and they do not show anything like a Heliophyllum internal structure.

Don

Thank You fossil posters. I feel more informed and am continuing on the right path discovering and researching this.