Help for newbie - Post Oak Creek, Sherman, TX

YouthInRevolt

I recently took my 9-year-old daughter hunting at Post Oak Creek in Sherman, TX. We collected these about 200 meters upstream (NW) from the S. Travis Street Bridge. While she did not enjoy the bugs and frogs, we both had a blast finding shark teeth and other cool stuff. It was our first trip fossil hunting and I am complete uninitiated in identification.

Can you guys take a look at these and let me know what's a fossil and what's a pretty rock? Trust me, she will be perfectly happy if they are all just pretty rocks. Besides what's pictured, we found about a dozen shark teeth and endless oysters. 

My goal for this post is to be able to more efficiently and accurately sift/sort through gravel the next time we go.

Here is set 1. Item number 2 looks like a grinding tooth? Number 3 has a tooth shape, but no distinct edges. Number 5 looks almost like a coral growth. 6 looks like agate mixed with other stone. 

IMG_20190725_094433.jpg

IMG_20190725_094338.jpg

Edited by YouthInRevolt
Added details about location
  • Enjoyed 1

Here is set 2. Number 4 has some tiny (1mm) shells on both sides. 3 and 5 both have a picked, tree bark texture on one side. 6 feels like limestone but I can see bits of white (shell or bone?) in it. 

IMG_20190725_094852.jpg

IMG_20190725_095046.jpg

Edited by YouthInRevolt
Added details

Here is set 3. 1-4 in this set all have a rusted iron look and feel. Number 1 has a big cavity in the underside (shaped like an acorn cap). 3 and 4 both have lighter colored material on the inside, which is visible from one end. Number 6 has picking on one side and is chalky on the other. 

IMG_20190725_095845.jpg

IMG_20190725_095651.jpg

Edited by YouthInRevolt
Details

Here is set 4. These are the tiniest pieces we found. 1-3 are all tubular. 2 and 3 both bend slightly inward at the middle (like an hourglass). 

IMG_20190725_101038.jpg

IMG_20190725_100857.jpg

Edited by YouthInRevolt
Details

Number 6 of set two looks like the cross sections of some bivalves.

• I found this Informative 1

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Thank you. Would it be a good piece to experiment with picking at? I have dental tools and hydrogen peroxide. 

Edited by YouthInRevolt

Glad to hear your daughter enjoyed the hunt! 

Set 1:

#1 Reminds me of either worn mosasaur bone or pet wood, probably the later.

#2 Worn Ptychodus whipplei.

#4 - Limestone pebbles with some crystalline structure.

#3 - 6 Phosphate pebbles.

Set 2: 

#3 Weird, not sure.

#4 Worn pebble showing gastropod cross sections.

#5 Perhaps more pet wood?

#6 Bivalve shell bits. 

Set 3: Lots of iron oxide concretion chunks.

Set 4: More worn pebbles, perhaps one phosphate.

• I found this Informative 3