Sharks tooth (Ukraine) Neogene.

Kolya

Possibly Angelshark.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Depending on the age it could be a hybodont shark, those grooves on the root leading into the crown give me that idea.

Nevermind, I saw your other post saying your teeth were from the neogene so it can't be from a hybodont.

Thank You very much for Your answer!
But You are right about grooves on the root. It is not well seen on photos but they are.

those striations/lineations are certainly curious.  Where was this found?  Do you know the formation?

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

47 minutes ago, hemipristis said:

those striations/lineations are certainly curious.  Where was this found?  Do you know the formation?

Thanks a lot!

This tooth was found in Western Ukraine (Lviv region) on a sand career. There are fossils from middle miocene (badenian). From article I know, that in this region were found sharks teeth from genus: 1. Odontaspis , 2. Isurus (Oxyrhina), 3. Galeocerdo, 4.Carcharodon, 5.Hemipristis.

• I found this Informative 1

16 hours ago, Kolya said:

Thanks a lot!

This tooth was found in Western Ukraine (Lviv region) on a sand career. There are fossils from middle miocene (badenian). From article I know, that in this region were found sharks teeth from genus: 1. Odontaspis , 2. Isurus (Oxyrhina), 3. Galeocerdo, 4.Carcharodon, 5.Hemipristis.

Good information. Those fit into Miocene alright.  

So I found this: 

Pachyscyllium and Squatina teeth.jpg

Squatina (angel shark) is tooth #4.  But take a look at tooth #6:  Pachyscyllium darchiardii, a variety of 'hound shark' from the Czech Republic.  The size is right, as are the striations. And I could be convinced that your tooth had cusps once, but they eroded away.  LINK

What do you think?

George Santayana

Most certainly not Neogene. It is a species of Synechodus, extinct group of sharks. Angel shark teeth are not striated and root structure is completely different. Age is probably Late Cretaceous, between Albian and Santonian. There are Cretaceous deposits all over Western Ukraine, including Lviv region. In addition, judging from how worn this tooth is, it could be from reworked Cretaceous deposits. Did you find any other shark teeth there?

EDIT: looked at your other posts, other shark teeth could be Neogene. So my guess is that this tooth comes from reworked Cretaceous deposits in a Neogene quarry - same feature can be found in some other Ukrainian locations, such as Malyn quarry, where Cretaceous Ptychodus can be found among Eocene Otodus.

• I found this Informative 1

The Tooth Fairy

1 hour ago, Anomotodon said:

Most certainly not Neogene. It is a species of Synechodus, extinct group of sharks. Angel shark teeth are not striated and root structure is completely different. Age is probably Late Cretaceous, between Albian and Santonian. There are Cretaceous deposits all over Western Ukraine, including Lviv region. In addition, judging from how worn this tooth is, it could be from reworked Cretaceous deposits. Did you find any other shark teeth there?

EDIT: looked at your other posts, other shark teeth could be Neogene. So my guess is that this tooth comes from reworked Cretaceous deposits in a Neogene quarry - same feature can be found in some other Ukrainian locations, such as Malyn quarry, where Cretaceous Ptychodus can be found among Eocene Otodus.

I will defer to the local expert :thumbsu:

George Santayana