Miss the Point

I found this sometime in the 1970’s 

State: New York, County: Suffolk, Township: Brookhaven, Hamlet: Rocky Point on Broadway Beach

on the shore of Long Island Sound.

The fossil weighs about one ounce. The hole was there when found, through it there is

hollow space, but I can also see that there is some structure or substance inside.

F2C46951-BB99-4C8A-855D-DEEB9C90A550.jpeg

DDA11DF8-891F-4EFA-A306-B7615DCBE472.jpeg

Edited by Miss the Point
Added 2nd Image, changed descriptive

12 hours ago, Miss the Point said:

I found this sometime in the 1970’s 

State: New York, County: Suffolk, Township: Brookhaven, Hamlet: Rocky Point on Broadway Beach

on the shore of Long Island Sound.

The fossil weighs about one ounce. The hole was there when found, through it there is

hollow space, but I can also see that there is some structure or substance inside.

F2C46951-BB99-4C8A-855D-DEEB9C90A550.jpeg

DDA11DF8-891F-4EFA-A306-B7615DCBE472.jpeg

This possible fossilized egg floats.

4 hours ago, Miss the Point said:

This possible fossilized egg floats.

Does it float if you fill the entire cavity with water? Battleships float until you fill the interior cavities with water.

It is not an egg. You can tell just by looking at what appears to be the eggshell. Look at how thick it is. An embryo would need a jackhammer to break out of that prison. Compare it to the thickness of the shell of a chicken egg of about the same size.

It is probably an ironstone concretion. It is a very interesting one and worthy of a place in any collection. I would definitely have picked that one up and kept it.

Have you tried to get a really good look through the hole to see if there are any interesting crystalline features inside? You mentioned that it has some structure. Can you describe it for us?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Somehow, it looks like a Sequoia cone, but I'm leaning toward an iron concretion or maybe slag. I'm not sure. :headscratch:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

It takes in about 30 drops of water to fill the small open cavity and it still floats. Inside is dark silver gray, like iron ore. The structure appears to be thin, and slightly pitted and membrane like, attached to the outer shell, like a bubble of molten iron solidified.

Pumice or Scoria might have similar characteristics, I think. :headscratch:
Please wait other opinions.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Hard to say what it may be from these photos; but as others mentioned, it isn't an egg.  I wouldn't rule out some form of industrial refuse.

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks to all for the input. I found this when I was probably 9 or 10 years old, and have always wondered what it might be.

I came across it recently and started looking for similar objects on the internet, as it was egg shaped I began with that category.

The shape might be right, but the consistency and the particular details might be wrong for a fossil egg of any kind, I'm affraid. :(
It's a very nice and intriguing specimen, that's sure! :)

Thomas Mann

My Library