Paulding, OH (Dev.) 7/28/19

Peat Burns

Found the usual goodies at Paulding today.  But I'll only show this photo of a nice, thick chunk of Placoderm armor.  This is embedded in hard limestone, so I think it's from the underlying Dundee Limestone Fm., rather than the Silica Shale Fm. (For those unfamiliar with the Paulding Locality, these are quarry dump piles).  This is one of two placoderm pieces I found today.  The color alone makes this a desirable find, let alone the cool factor of what it is.

20190728_221606.thumb.jpg.bf6b2ac8c80d11250c88295eda35c55b.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

I would never have thought of placoderm. Would you explain the characteristics of the i.d? Thanks

5 minutes ago, dalmayshun said:

I would never have thought of placoderm. Would you explain the characteristics of the i.d? Thanks

Understand that. Before I learned about it, I would never have thought placoderm either. 

Without magnification, the first clue on a nebulous chunk is the bluish color.  Under magnification at a breakage point, the bony structure is visible and helps confirm the ID.  I have also found some pieces that, rather than "amorphous" chunks, are complete skull elements.  Same blue color, same internal structure.  If you get a piece of the body armor showing the exterior surface, they are often "tuberculate", but I haven't found any like this at Paulding yet.

• I found this Informative 2

Great find Tony!

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.