Pensacola Beach Florida

tnfossil

Hi everyone. I am a long time lurker of this great site. I live in middle Tennesee and have never found a sharks tooth before. Where I live I find mostly brachipods and corals. On a really good day I find a cephalopod or part of a trilobite (still haven't found a full one yet).

On Tuesday I am loading up the car to head to Pensacola Beach, Florida for my brother's wedding. He is getting married on the beach. I am guessing Pensacola Beach would be a good area to find a prehistoric sharks tooth. Are there any creeks in the area that I should check out? Any help or advice would be great.

Would love to help you but I've never hunted in FL. But, there are a few member on here that have. :D Perhaps they will help.

Welcome to the forum :)

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

woah! if i was headed to florida i would add a few extra days and sift a few creeks and try to walk away with a meg or mammoth tooth :)

Goodluck!

If you're Best Man, You could pretend to drop the ring and then pretend to be looking for it... :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I am from the area and I don't know of much in the P'cola area but there is a GREAT place to go on your way. It is called Point A Dam right near andulusia ... a place where you will have a chance to find 100's of shark teeth. I have been there several times and had a blast there .

here are a couple of links for you to get started ...

http://www.gamineral.org/point-a-dam.html

http://www.gamineral.org/point-a-dam-fossils.html

http://www.shuko-works.com/Fossils/PointADam08/index.html

This is a map I created some time ago. It has places of interest marked for myself to do some searching at. On this one you will see Point A Dam site and the green markers show the best place to search for fossils.

Personal Google Maps

Also searching above will give some great insight on how and where to search once you get there ... several good threads about it ..

In the search box above put in "point a dam" with the quotations ...

Hope all of this helps man ... and great luck ..

Edited by 3dzer0

Thanks for the welcomes and the advice. I hadn't thought about the dropping the ring trick. That might work out well. We are going to be barefoot for the wedding so I plan on wiggling my toes around in the sand to see what I can find too. ;)

I may try to hit Point A Dam on the way back. It looks like a great spot! Thanks for all the info and links.