How do you display your fossils?

Digi

2 hours ago, Randyw said:

:default_faint::envy::drool:

I agree! You have an amazing collection @RJB and it looks great in the glass case! :wub:

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

• 1 month later...

Might as well throw my riker mounts in :)

Really like to store my teeth this way. However I they sort of need the same thickens, so they stay in place in the riker mount. Thats why the first one is sort of a mix up. But my second riker fits perfect with the 3 Apex Predator teeth :)

My 4.5 Carch tooth has its own riker mount.

Two Nanotyrannus teeth

Afrovenator

Two Abelisaurid

Isurus planus shark tooth

And a marko shark

20190925_224006.jpg.c507c25f1bc127827cc39a3b8af9e5ab.jpg

And that's the Apex Predator riker mount

Tyrannosaurid from Judith River Formation

Spinosaurid and Carcharosontosaurid from KemKem

20190925_224001ddd.jpg.562ebbc0b351e84a92a5693ea3ab717f.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

On 02/08/2019 at 7:55 PM, paulyb135 said:

This is my setup of dinosaur teeth. Mostly theropods 

4E36D2E1-6C6E-46EF-8C00-87DF3FA496FD.jpeg

An update. As you can see space is becoming an issue

515F870F-79BE-4D03-9AA0-C8ACF4388D9F.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

On 03/08/2019 at 1:15 AM, FossilNerd said:

I use a couple of glass retail display cabinets that I got used

Theses cabinets look really cool. They have a utilitarian look to them and for me that really adds to your displays. I do like reprobating instead of buying new. 

On 8/24/2019 at 11:17 AM, Abyss said:

Great collections & displays.

Though I was hoping there would of been more display methods shown that didn't consist of glass shelving, I'm finding a lot of these cabinets with glass shelves are only good for 40 pounds per shelf.

This 40 pound limit I'd have a problem with, it might work or not ? I'd hate to come home one day to see 1 shelf breaks & takes out more shelves & break my specimens. Plus those Ikea cabinets are small, wouldn't hold much per shelf for bigger items.

Everywhere I look display cabinets are not cheap ! I want something that can be dismantled, steel or ? not glass, with glass front doors/ shatter proof, led lighting, shelves can hold 50 lbs + each.

If anyone knows where to find something like this at fare price let me know.

Otherwise I'll have to build it myself, found a bookcase/ workshop shelving unit that should work.

Agree the weight, lighting is a problem.  I use lots of Ikea cabinets since they are priced right, look great and very good at space utilization.  Where I have issues with weight I have replaced the glass with 1/4" thick tempered glass easily obtained at glass store. You would be surprised how much load they can handle, well over 100 pounds.   I also added two banks of led lights which does a great job illuminating all the levels.

Glass Load calculator 

https://elitecustomglass.com/glass-weight-calculator/

• I found this Informative 2

25 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Theses cabinets look really cool. They have a utilitarian look to them and for me that really adds to your displays. I do like reprobating instead of buying new. 

Thanks! I like them. They are not as pretty as some of the other cabinets I’ve seen, but  they were super cheap and I like to reduce/reuse/recycle when I can. ;) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

6 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

They are not as pretty as some of the other cabinets

I think that’s what a like about the most.  :dinothumb: 

I like as @FossilNerd does to repurpose things to make display stands out of. I recused a couple of old bell jars they now have my Hell Creek collection and shark.

• 9 months later...

Maybe this thread would be more suited to be placed in the  " Members Collections " section ? Since asking how people display their collections.

Well its been a while, though I was not in a huge rush either & the decision making of what I want, where to get the better price etc...

I choose office black metal bookcases. They'll hold plenty of weight, very common design for all & future bookcases to match without any worries of being discontinued like some other cases at stores. Color Black since they don't sell them in White & the other colors Gray or Tan don't look as good nor do they match with any room color like Black will.

Next was the front face to keep out the dust. This went through my mind the longest, though Plexiglass was going to be used, at first I wanted to attach opening ( swing or slide ) & locking doors. So I looked at all these options = Too much trouble...canceled that idea. Next, magnet idea = Nope, other small magnet project I did required far more heavy duty magnets to hold up just something lightweight.

Finally sometimes the most simplest thing is your answer, I didn't know they sold " Industrial Strength " or Rolls,  until I walked by them looking for something else.

Velcro Industrial Strength Double Sided Tape rolls, was the answer ! Apply the strips to the bookcase face and the back of the Plexiglass, it's holding up the 1/8 " sheet no problem.

Display Risers, was a matter of finding who had the better deal plus not many sellers of 5 sided cubes ( I wouldn't trust less than 5 sided cubes ). Though I'm finding out that I may have to make some of my own to fill in for those certain sizes I want & to hold more weight for some items.

LED lighting, bought straight from a LED company website to get quality products & all the options to choose from for what ever you want.

I started the LED wiring from the top ( can somewhat see in picture ) drilled small hole to allow cord to go through. With a wireless remote control sensor on top ( so no interference ) with many custom lighting options , well that meant the power brick would be hanging down the back & the weight may unplug a connection - so I used some remaining Velcro & stuck it the power brick & the back of bookcase - problem solved, plus can still unplug that end off the case for moving it without worry about tripping over the cord.

Then I just zig zagged the wiring through each shelf level & taped the wiring to the backside of the front face corner of the bookcase, it fits no need to drill any other holes except the very top one.

Second picture was at 50% lighting, seemed to work best for picture taking. Though 100% or any other percentage of lighting works fine in real life to look at.

IMG_5926.thumb.jpeg.207a08302cf454b43e19aaa7ec91874c.jpeg

For future other tip, order the size of Plexiglass ....Tell them to order new ones for you.

They may say well we have some of them right here that you can buy right now.....Well if I buy those you'll need to reorder some new anyways to replace those if I buy them !

Reason why, it's hard to tell if there's some scratches on those plexiglass that have been sitting there a while & moved around, mine had some scratches not bad but still <_<

At the time they only had Grey Velcro tape <_< still bought it, future will be getting Black colored Velcro.

1 hour ago, Abyss said:

Maybe this thread would be more suited to be placed in the  " Members Collections " section ? Since asking how people display their collections.

Well its been a while, though I was not in a huge rush either & the decision making of what I want, where to get the better price etc...

I choose office black metal bookcases. They'll hold plenty of weight, very common design for all & future bookcases to match without any worries of being discontinued like some other cases at stores. Color Black since they don't sell them in White & the other colors Gray or Tan don't look as good nor do they match with any room color like Black will.

Next was the front face to keep out the dust. This went through my mind the longest, though Plexiglass was going to be used, at first I wanted to attach opening ( swing or slide ) & locking doors. So I looked at all these options = Too much trouble...canceled that idea. Next, magnet idea = Nope, other small magnet project I did required far more heavy duty magnets to hold up just something lightweight.

Finally sometimes the most simplest thing is your answer, I didn't know they sold " Industrial Strength " or Rolls,  until I walked by them looking for something else.

Velcro Industrial Strength Double Sided Tape rolls, was the answer ! Apply the strips to the bookcase face and the back of the Plexiglass, it's holding up the 1/8 " sheet no problem.

Display Risers, was a matter of finding who had the better deal plus not many sellers of 5 sided cubes ( I wouldn't trust less than 5 sided cubes ). Though I'm finding out that I may have to make some of my own to fill in for those certain sizes I want & to hold more weight for some items.

LED lighting, bought straight from a LED company website to get quality products & all the options to choose from for what ever you want.

I started the LED wiring from the top ( can somewhat see in picture ) drilled small hole to allow cord to go through. With a wireless remote control sensor on top ( so no interference ) with many custom lighting options , well that meant the power brick would be hanging down the back & the weight may unplug a connection - so I used some remaining Velcro & stuck it the power brick & the back of bookcase - problem solved, plus can still unplug that end off the case for moving it without worry about tripping over the cord.

Then I just zig zagged the wiring through each shelf level & taped the wiring to the backside of the front face corner of the bookcase, it fits no need to drill any other holes except the very top one.

Second picture was at 50% lighting, seemed to work best for picture taking. Though 100% or any other percentage of lighting works fine in real life to look at.

IMG_5926.thumb.jpeg.207a08302cf454b43e19aaa7ec91874c.jpeg

That's a great idea for displaying needs that won't break the bank. I like it!