Egg? Dino park

rml

Found on flat ground by itself in Dinosaur Park, southern Alberta. Approximately 5 cm long, 3 wide, and 1.5 thick. I’m really curious as to what this one is. Ask if you need more details

image.jpg

image.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

I agree, this is a concretion or nodule. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, rml said:

Ahh ok. Thanks

If you look at what appears to be the shell, you'll notice that its thickness varies drastically and randomly over the entire surface. Never so on an egg.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

23 minutes ago, rml said:

Would it be possible to be a slightly crushed egg? 

Nope. If you look at it in the first photo where you can see the edge of the "shell" and follow the layer underneath that towards yourself/front-of-egg you'll run into another "shell" edge. This egg has two shells? Nope. That's why it's not an egg. The eggshell does not show evidence of the texture or porosity of an eggshell. That's why it's not an egg. The shape in the second picture isn't possible without adding material that wasn't present in the original. That's why it's not an egg. 

I could keep going. I will if you want me to. Trust us, please. We're not here to lie to you. I wish it was an egg. I would be very happy for you. It is not an egg.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!